HybridZ

running lean intentionally

Phyxius

Ask 1FastZ!

he has set up his "low load" Kpa Bins to universally run 18:1 AFR in ALL rpm ranges.

This is probably totally safe, as the old Chrysler Lean-Burn Emissions Engines ran 17.5:1, and some Hondas run close to 20:1 in some instances!

As long as you aren't lean UNDER LOAD, you will be fine! With this kind of setup, Bryan is breaking over 30mpg on the highway with his MS-Powered 280Z.

The GREAT thing about MS is that figuring out where "load" is couldn't be easier, the first two bins in the kpa column are a given. From there, it's a matter of what kind of driving manners you require from the engine, and what your EGT's are.

For crusing at light load, that 18:1 is probably fine, and you can tailor the accel shot to make it transition without the typical "lean pop" like you would have if you jetted a carb that lean.

Another reason to go EFI!

(Yeah, I had a fire in the Mikuinis on the Black Car yesterday, and thought "only a few months and it will be cool, and I can convert these damn things!")

Guest Loose_Screws

I have heard you get really nasty emissions from running lean. Also, if you have CAT's, if you run too lean, I don't think there is enough fuel for 'combustion' in the CAT and could eventually clog it?