HybridZ

Rough start for my first V8 Z

I spent the whole day on the friggin Z and still couldn't get it to start. It's just a simple problem "no sparks". I replaced the ignition module then the coil and still no sparks. Then I put in a new distributor and I got sparks. I plugged everything back up and cranked it up. It started for a brief second or maybe 2 and shut off by itself. After that I got no sparks again. I spent the next few hours swapping parts with no luck. Then I double check the 2 wires at the coil and there it was the problem I cross the friggin wires. So I decided to go back to the auto parts store and get the new distributor, coil, ignition module, rotor and cap and went to diner and very sure that when I come back the friggin thing will start with everything new. Well after diner I put everything new in there and it still no sparks. Here is what I think the new problem: If the battery is weak and not spinning the rotor quick enough can it not get sparks because of that? Because when I turn it over the motor turns over fine but I measure the voltage accross the pickup coil and it was only .3 Volts AC. I took it out and spin it by hand and was able to get it up to like 1. something Volts AC. I am charging up the battery and will try it again tomorrow morning. Can someone tell me what type of voltages at each stage within the stupid distributor? After a day playing with the dumb distributor I think there is nothing special about this piece of $hit. Here is my theory how it works correct me if I am wrong. The pick up coil picks up small AC voltages that enters the "ignition module". When the ignition module sees the AC voltages it will send the grounded signal to the negative side of the coil. This will energize or de-energize the coil and send out the pulse to the spark plugs via the rotor. So if the AC signal is not big enough then it will not trigger the ignition module. Does anyone know what is the required voltage to trigger the ignition module? Also if it works the way I described then I can check the coil's function by momentarily ground the negative side of the coil while cranking I should get some kind of sparks coming out if the coil is OK..

Ok I am tired.. any info would be great guys.. I doubt I have time to get to the response until tomorrow night but please give me what your have guys.. Thanks

Hey Vinh,

Sounds like I better change my schedule for tomorrow and put you at the top. Darn, I guess that means I have to come over and check out the new inventory . :twisted:

I'll give you a call in the morning and get some info, then I can call my experts and get some ideas on the way over.

Stay calm, once it gets started it's going to be one heck of a ride.

A full battery is required, if the battery is low the starter pulls all the amperage, so the coil may not get a trigger voltage. A full battery is the first (and simplest) place to start, from there it gets interesting.

- Joe

Hi Joe,

Yes I was going to call you tomorrow morning. I called Pete Paraska today and a friend of mine locally. Unfortunately the local friend just got into a motorcycle accident so he couldn't come over to help. I just went over my garage with a fully charged battery jumper and cranked the car and still no sparks. I had enough of this thing and ready to pour some gas on it and light it up.. I just went over the car and found some interesting stuffs on this car. I will post the link here if you like to see.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/721840/3

Later guys

I got one more thing to try and that is hook up everything to the distributor outside the car and try to spin it by hand. If that gives me sparks then the battery is definitely weak and not spinning the motor fast enough to generate enough AC volatage accross the pick up coil. Will let u guys know the result tonight and hope it will be good result.

Vinh, did you try the power straight to the +bat connector on the distributor cap, and the ground straight to the coil housing (with the dust cover off)?

What you've related to me sounds like a wiring issue in the car or a slightly defective ignition switch. That switch may not be allowing enough current to the coil.

Good Luck!

We got it figured out, now Vinh has to make a post about "IT LIVES" (add the evil laughter of your choice) :twisted:

It was just as suspected, the Framus was connected to Watzit incorrectly and all the Miracle Gas had leaked out. Fortunately the Muffler Bearing Grease was still good.

- Joe

All,

Joe beat me to the punch. Yeah it was a piece of cake. The thing that bothers me is that I am very good with electronics and couldn't figure out this problem until Joe showed up. I can't thank Joe enough for coming and helped me today. I had helped many people with their electronics problems before and this is the first time someone helped me solved my problem. Another lesson learned for me.

I guess everyone probably anxious to know what was the problem. Joe and I agreed that there was 2 problems. The #1 problem was the tach wire was shorted somewhere and I had this tach wire connected and disconnected randomly. This explained why I was getting sparks intermittently before that. #2 problem was the center contact of the rotor was not making good contact with the point that lead to the coil sometimes. I have to blame the second problem to myself because of frustration and I wasn't careful when putting on the distributor cap and I bend it side way. The main problem was I figured out how everything works but I didn't come up with a good way to test it at each stage. That was what we did when Joe showed up. We started testing each stage starting from the spark plugs. The tach wire was the tricky one. It had Joe confused for a bit but Joe immediately came up with the solution.

Pete,

I tried your suggestion as well and connected 12V from the battery to the Batt side of the coil and the whole entire time I had the tach wire hook up to the distributor. That was the main problem. When the negative side of the coil stay grounded the coil will stay de-energized. Thank you for all your help and time. Sometimes it's better to hear second or third opinions. I hope it's all down hill from here :o) ..

Later all..

Vinh it was a lot of fun, I got to hear it start and run. I'm glad I could help, good for the ego and makes me look smart. I wonder how many times we said "it's a simple system, how can we not get a spark ???!!!".

As for the garage, even with all those Zs it STILL looks empty. Guess he needs to get more Zs. We could have a heck of a get together in there, plenty of room (hint, hint, wink, wink, nod, nod).

- Joe

Innerware,

Thank you for the comments. This garage was what kept me busy last year and probably the next few years. The picture only show half of the garage. I got the other half finished and ready to be rent out.

Joe,

We have enough Z people around S. Philly and S. Jersey. One of these days we will have a Z BBQ at my place if we can find enough people to show up.

BTW please give me a call any time when you need a helping hand.