HybridZ

Any Toyota experts around here?

GrayZee

I'm sorry this is not Z related but I can't seem to find any good info on the Corolla.. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

Ok, here's the deal. I have a 89 corolla Sr5 I believe it's a 4af engine with a carb. The carb seems to be messed up and although I am good with carburetors I have no desire to fix a Japanese carb. They are quite complex comparted to a domestic one and a carb kit will cost almost half of what I can buy a used injected engine for. I know it's more work, but sometimes I do this stuff for kicks.. I found a Fwd twin cam 4age motor at the wrecking yard that I can get real cheap. My question is what EXACTLY do I need to swap this engine over? Here's a rundown of what I think I might need.

complete engine

tranny (I've heard that it will bolt to the original trans however??)

posibly driveshafts?? struts??

gas tank (complete with fuel pump)

engine mounts (I assume that they are different?) crossmember is the same I hope?

ECU, complete with wiring (I think it's integrated to main harness *sob*)

starter, alternator, PS pump

air intake and MAP sensor.

Anything I am missing? Perhaps more parts are compatable than I think??

Guest Battle Pope

LOL!

Welcome to wiring HELL. Toyotas are some of the most irritating and difficult cars to wire. EVER.

In a AE86 SR5 to GTS conversion, the ENTIRE harness must be swapped. ENTIRE. That means completely stripping the car and rebuilding it from the wiring on.

I agree with Battle Pope, I have done MANY 4AG conversions and I consider myself to be a bit of Toyota expert. I have done many conversions in the past and they are pain to wire, but certainly not impossible.

You car is called the AE92 chassis and the 4AG that you have found will bolt right in - no issues there.

Are you sure the 4AG that you found is MAP or AFM? If its MAP then it is the ultra rare 130hp variant that only came to the U.S for one year ('90-'91), the other AFM versions were 112hp.

The conversion is fun and everything on your list is what you need. A couple weekends and you will be on your way to 4AG fun.

Here is the last 4AG I built....only 286wheel hp...

89873270.jpg

Yasin