HybridZ

turbo zx running poorly, diagnosis help!!

1 tuff z

hey all, have been having some troubles with our 83

turbo zx. i'll try to detail the symptoms as best i can. a few weeks back began running poorly. temps in low 90's with hi humitidy. pulls decently to around 3000rpm then begins to falter-like short on fuel. also anything past ~3/4 throttle and she falls on her face [actually feels like someone turned off the key]. i changed the fuel filter, problem gone...temporarily but so was heat wave-temps back to low 80's. back to heat wave problem back. got so bad that it wouldn't do much more than idle. change to a spare ign coil i had. again, problem solved...temporarily. also, during all above instances, sometimes under acceleration i'd hear a popping under the hood-very similar to backfiring through a carburator. seems to run better when the engine is slightly warmed up...worse when fully warmed up. i checked all the electrical connections that i could get to but don't know what to do next...

help!

Guest bastaad525

yep ALWAYS the first thing you should do with a turbo ZX whenever you have these kinds of problems....

Get yourself a can of brake parts cleaner spray, and a tube of dielectric grease (might have to get that from electronics parts store). Also have an old toothbrush handy.

Disconnect EVERY connection on your EFI wiring harness. Spray off every connection with the brake cleaner, both on the harness, and on whatever it connects to. We're talking ECU, AFM, sensors, injectors. If you can SEE built up corrosion, green chunky stuff, let it soak a minute and hit it with the toothbrush, then spray it off again.

let everything dry, then hook everything back up and take her for a spin. If that improved the problem or solved it, go and put some dielectric grease on ALL of those connections, to help keep them from corroding again...

A lot of people think this wont work, but 9 out of 10 times, the guy will come back in here and say "I can't believe it worked! Car runs perfect now!".

It's easy and cheap to do so before you say "no that can't be it" just give it a try.

i did the dielectric grease thing when i first got the car. my wife thought i was nuts squeezin this semi-clear goo in all the connectors...

anyway, turned the key on to check the ign with my fluke meter and the vacuum pump keeps running. so i listen and hear this very faint hissing...hmmm. after about 5 minutes i finally find a small split in one of the 1/4" vacuum hoses. put in a new one and viola, she'z runnin like a thorobred again!