HybridZ

A/C Experts?

cygnusx1

I have working AC in my 280Z Turbo Hybrid. The problem is that the compressor is buried under the air flow meter, the cold air intake tubing, the turbo outlet pipe to the intercooler, the return pipe from the IC, the bypass-valve, and its return hose to the turbo inlet! I CANNOT reach the low side charge port on the compressor to add some R134a. Yes, it's been converted from R-12 to R134a with all the original 76Z factory AC parts. What is the best way to RELOCATE the low side charge port to an accessible position?

Can I unscrew the stock charge port (is it NPT?) and screw in a flexible copper line and then run it to an exposed place and put the charge valve on the end of the copper line? Or is there a better idea. I charge the AC with the car running with a can and tap while I watch the window on the dryer. It has been working for over three years since I converted it but it seems a slight bit low on charge this year so I want to top it off.

Thanks, any ideas are greatly appreciated and if you have any thread pitch, or fitting details please include them in your reply so I can line up the parts I will need before I perform the surgery.

AC shops sell an extension hose that will relocate the service ports off the compressor to someplace more accessible.

Depending on your compressor, you might be able to get at the service ports from under the car.

I had this problem on my 240Z Turbo with AC. I tried the extension hoses, and those worked fine. But the last time I had my system evacuated, I took the car to an AC shop, and had them cut my low side line, and install an inline service port.

Thanks, I will get in the yellow pages to see if anyone will sell me an R12 charge port extension hose. The charge valves are still R12 and I used the little adapter to charge the r134a. I already got under the car and tried that approach. I can't get a hose on the port from that angle either :(