HybridZ

LT1 Supercharger Kit?

I plan to add a vortech supercharger to my 240Z powered by a '95 Trans Am LT1 . Which Vortech kit requires the least amount of work and fabrication to install? Is it the F-body LT1 kit, Corvette LT1 kit or should I just buy the head unit and make the piping from scratch?

Anyone have pictures of this type of install?

Thanks.

When Darius had his old supercharge kit for sale, I remember asking him if he was including the piping and he said no because it was all custom anyways and probably wouldnt kit my car anyways(I have a 280ZX). So I would have to say its not going to matter what kit you get your still going to have to fabricate your own piping for it.

Guy

The pulleys on the Corvette engines sit out a different distance from the engine than the Fbody (or so i've been told). You may need to use the version that is for your pulley system (i.e. vette, fbody, impala). This assumes you can use their brackets at all, you may have to fab up you own brackets anyway. If you can't run it in the location it is designed for then just get the kit that is cheapest or maybe not buy a kit at all just the blower itself and start fabbing.

I'm installing a kit from a Camaro into a 75 280 Z. From initial measurements the charger will hit the lower rail. Fitting it in is not my main concern getting the rear end to take it is.

I will start by using CV joints on a 3.53 setup with braces to help the differential taske the shook of launch. I hope the car will spin enough to allow the unit to stay together some say yes others say no way.

I found a used CV conversion for $150 so figure I will give it a try. I have a 9" but the fabrication is nothing I look forward to doing.

Good luck

Jack46,

Let me know how your SC install goes. I'm curious how you mount it and run the intake lines.

I'm going to use the Q45 differential setup. I don't expect to have much problems with the rear end other than getting it to hook the tires.

Thanks.

Well not sure where the inlet will end up...

But I will tell you the stock fuel system on an LT1 runs out ~540 RWHP. A friend has a dual turbo LT1 and single fuel line will not make it. We modified the rail by putting dual fittings on rear of rail. Then made a fuel block that handles dual 3/8" fuel via 3/8" brake line and stock regulators.

Setup will flow a ton I plan on using dual Caprice pumps since they are ~$50 each and both should flow ~700 RWHP. You could 'T' into front of rail with another line but that wouldn't look as good and cost as much or more.

I would love to use 230, but IMO too EXPENSIVE. Since I already have spare R200's and 300 CV's will try it (~$250 for adapters). I have a 9" if that doesn't make it since I doubt the 230 would take that much more, and the limit should be the 8.5" sicks. I hope they will break loose at launch and stay together. I just hate the thought of the tubbing, work work work work.

The 9" is cheaper than 230 just takes ALOT of work. Also what headers are you running? I have a large set 1 7/8" that will flow supercharger nicely.

Good luck

Jack46,

I haven't even thought of how I want to configure the fuel system. I guess I need to start thinking about that along with everything else. Right now I'm just starting the short block; dropped it off at the machine shop last week. I've already got the Q45 rear and 2 sets of halfshafts. I can't imagine putting in a 9"; even though it will get mostly street and drag use, for my needs the car must remain IRS in case I take it to an autocross or road course for a track day.

As far as headers, I know someone who makes custom headers as a hobby. I plan to get him to make a set for me once the car is done. With all the research I've done and all the posts on this site about crappy block hugger headers and long tubes scraping the ground I think a good fabricated set of step headers is the way to go with a psi motor.

Later

I haven't even thought of how I want to configure the fuel system. I guess I need to start thinking about that along with everything else.

Well I wasn't either but I paid $18 for adapters and welding to rail. I got a block of aluminum for free so minimum and will prevent a problem later.

Actually I could simply run a single line and probably get by but...a second 3/8" brake line from tank to front is cheap and easy to do before the engine and tranny are in.

I would bet I won't exceed 500 RWHP but now I know fuel delivery will be fine to OMG levels.

I have a 9" and hate the work of tubbing it for it. IF I break CV's I will but I hope to make it without.

Q45 seems like the way but also not cheap. Power breaks parts and costs.

From header thread

http://www.ssheaders.com

these are not the same as the sandersons. part number 5205 fits our cars, whether using the hooker/scarab, jtr, or msa kit.

I would consider buying those, I'm sure your friend does great work, but a proven product is tough to match. UNLESS he can make 1 7/8"

Good luck