HybridZ

Trying to get the Z worthy for the SEZ event.. LONG ROAD TRIP!

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Hey guys.

Ive been saving up for awhile now to finish this blue Z up, and since im taking this car to the SEZ event in GA i gotta start thinking NOW what i need to get and check for this car for this long trip.

Need a clutch BAD! so Spec Stage 3 clutch kit and Light weight flywheel will be going on.

My 280zx n/a tranny is in not that great of shape so i gotta either find another one or see if it holds together.

Oil Pump i gotta get, any ideas for my L28ET?

New struts are a must! i lowered it alot, using Austins old springs on his white Z which slammed his car, and my car is gonna be even lower so i gotta get some new stiffer struts.

while im doing that i wanna replace the front rotors, pads, fluid, wheel bearnings.

im getting a new nissan comp headgasket for the fresh motor AGAIN!

im hoping some of the interior will be done but that dont matter at all right now.

the exhaust will be on or near done i hope for this trip, if not open downpipe it is.

the car needs LSD BAD! it needs CV's bad but i dunno if i can find a rear end and cv's in time. if not ill throw some extra halfshafts in the back just incase i break the ones on the car.

ill have all the gauges in i hope, as well as the LM1 onboard to start tuning with the microtech standalone.

i think thats it.. MAYBE a radiator as i think it would be a good idea.

anything im forgetting to check before this trip?

i never drove a Z on a long trip before, and ill have this car maybe done 2 days or a day prior before leaving.

oh if anybody is selling a upgraded turbo let me know.. this stock t3 is sorta shot.

Thanks Mike!

lol with you a spare set of rear tires :) lol.

complete set of spare tools as well as water, coolant, and oil. Rain-X might benefit your ghetto one wiper setup as well.

Also you need new door seals bro. The ones I took off weren't even worth trying to save they had holes in the rubber and were very dry rought.

-Ed

I would not drive such a long trip with just a DP. Check the hatch seals and the holes where the fuel tank vent hoses go through the floor. The exhaust noise, fumes, fogged up windshield, no wipers, etc, gets old after an hour or two on long trips. OTOH, you are young and probably more tolerant of that crap.

Good luck and hope to see you there but arriving safely.

Guest ON3GO

its no where near done.. i have the following i still have to BUY and put on.

Fuel lines

Fuel Filter

Struts

Brakes

Wheel bearings

carpet

clutch

flywheel

engine still has to be put back together

powdercoating needs to be done

fuel injectors need to be modded and working right

need the exhaust made

bov spring

standalone installed and wired and tuned

fmic finished

fuel cell needs to be put in

wheels need to come and tires put on

wideband needs to be hooked up

interior needs to be go in

oh... and paint needs to be finished.

not that long of a list :(

its gonna be like a 12 hour drive or something near that.

hope to have the car done the day before the trip.

mike

Mike .. when I was 16... I drove to Alaska from Oregon without a spare tire...and that was in 1964 when most of the road was a mud puddle littered with World War 11 equipment.(non-salvageable)..I had this idea that I would skin "road kill" mink to pay for the gas. My pocket knife and my only tool was too dull to pierce the skin.......there went about 150 mink pelts for the taking along side the northern highway..Fortune later found me in Dawson Creek looting a restraunt's wishing well around 2:00 AM surrounded by intoxocated patrons..One driunk tried to pick a fight with me but I would not get up off my knees when the fishing was that good and the little pond was still loaded ......Canadian coins weigh just as much as US issue.and every pocket I had was bulging...My luck did turn bad for a few years after my lucrative wishihg well fishing.enterprise....most money I ever made until then........................................after reading your to do list..........Take a lot of pictures for display and hitch-hike to the event..... 0r get a car hauler and hire both front and rear pilot cars....***k the destination........ enjoy the adventure of the road!... I do not remember much about destination Fairbanks except the midnight sun and mosquitos and getting flooded out on a forest fire job inside the Artic Circle..... I will never forget the great mint fishing in that Dawson Creek restraunt at 2:00 AM among the drunken patrons. Biggest mistake I made was fishing that hole out the first time thru.... the later return trip's sucess eventually revolved on other acquired non fishing skills. Sharp knife but wrong time of year for mink! ! Actually had to do a little work here and there to be free of the mounties. An early television education taught me that Sgt Preston and Yukon King always got their man, no matter how far they had to trail the miscreants.