HybridZ

Wild ride

Guest TheHappyHeathen

Guest TheHappyHeathen

I just bought my Z and I am having some trouble, keeping it in its lane, on the road in turns and gripping coming up through the gears. It's a 1981 two seater five speed. i know nothing about working on cars, but I intend to be buried in this car, so I'm willing to put my hands to it before someone else's, but I don't know what to do. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm not sure what the problem is? Are you saying it wanders all over the road and behaves oddly on turns?

Please explain the problem in detail? Sounds like you need to make sure all hte suspension bolts are tight (holding in your control arms, trailing arms, etc), that your lugnuts are tight, and have wheelworks check your alignment. They'll check it for free

Does it have the 'Z car steering wheel shake' too? :lol: My first car (and first Z) was an 81 280zx. It was a huge pos, but fun. Front end was falling apart (tie-rod ends, ball joints, bushings, ALL shot) and combined with a rusty flexing chasis, it did some strange things sometimes... Beeing my first car, I didn't realize how bad it actually was until I got rid of it and got into a vehicle that was in better shape overall.. Check all the nuts and bolts, as well as bushings and springs.

Guest TheHappyHeathen

It just feels the car car is riding higher than it should be and it bounces around a lot more than i'd like. It seems to lift up in the turns and loses grip and handling there and when i shift the rear end drops and then bounces back up, which is power related too, but still, i want it to stick the the pavement like glue. I should have to try to lose traction.

Sounds like struts/shocks to begin with... Lay your hands on a front fender and push up and down vigorously. If the fender rises higher before setlling back than when you first began and talk back to you...struts bad...good chance the suspension needs attention...If you carry your wallet in back pocker....lay yout hands there first as a security measure

small correction to what here comes trouble said... don't press on the fender, that's how Zs get dented fenders. pop your hood and bounce the Z by pressing down on the shock tower.

in short sounds like your suspension is shot. Get new springs, struts, bushings, and a differential mount.

Guest TheHappyHeathen

Well, if there's any silver linings I'd love to see 'em. If anybody's out here in Cali or has suspension parts worth putting on, lemme know. I knew I'd be spending money when I bought this car, but I also decided not to do a half *** job when the inevitable parts issue came up. Again, if anyone has parts or is in the neighborhood, lemme know something.