HybridZ

hints at correctly installing security door?

grumpyvette

while the metal SECURITY door I bought came with brief installation instructions, which Ill follow,but I thought Id ask if you guys had any hints

basically its a very heavy metal SECURITY door and matching frame and locks,security plates ETC. for my garage access door and it came with (6) 1/2 DIA, redhead style bolt/anchors that anchor drilled into the concrete, the frames hollow but made from about 1/8" folded metal frame as is the door (cost $500)

any ideas as to ways to strengthen the instalation, backer material,construction foam insulation?

yeah, Ive already installed security hinges and multipull security pins plus welded in internal angle iron bracing to prevent any chance of prying being successfully attempted, plus the garage has a security alarm with motion detectors, heat sensors,radio transmiter backup, and door contacts, what Im looking into mostly is securing the door to the poured concrete opening more effectively , now obviously Ill add several more concrete anchors but any more suggestions are most welcome

Grumpy, are the security hinges you are using have the interlocking pins? One thing you may consider is to fill the inside of the door frame with concrete grout. This is a common practice that is done on security doors. It prevents prying the door fame away from the door. Is your door an inswinging or outswinging door? If all else fails.....reactive armor on the exterior of the door will like do the job! What brand of deadbolt lock are you planning on using? More info would be helpful.

Medeco is certainly on the upper end of the lock food chain. Their Bi-Axial series cylinders are one of the few cylinder designs that are as close to pick proof as I've seen or tested. One thing to bear in mind....security is like a chain, its only as good as the weakest link! Basically, one could install the best possible security door in their garage, but with the standard wall construction used to build homes...a knowledgible intruder would just kick a hole in the wall and not even mess with the secure door. I still like the reactive armor idea.....!

Guest Battle Pope

Normally I would say that level of security is kinda rediculous. But knowing what you'll be keeping in there it's probably 'enough'. Honestly, I can't give any recommendations because I don't know enough about it.

any garage can get broken into, my goal is to make it more difficult and slower than its worth,so far in the 8 years Ive lived here every theft in our developement resulted in someone caught and serious measures taken that prevented repeat tries

I have redundant security systems on my house, as do most people in my community,theres people on premiss 99% of the time as Im retired, my wifes retired,my mother-in-laws retired,(lives in the guest residence on the property) my younger son still lives here, Ive got a fenced yard, and dogs, I live in a community thats patrolled, by well armed security,24/7 /365 , (I know I help pay for that, and they drive by every few minutes and know all the property owners by name and thier vehicals )my neighbors and I are constantly in contact and theres other security measures I won,t mention, no one gets even into the community without video survallance records

only a complete fool makes things easy for theives, I prefer to make things VERY DIFFICULT, as money spent on redundant security systems prevents losses that could cost more in the long run.