HybridZ

Turbo Swap Progress, Need HELP!!

Kraker_Jax

Well since I finally got time today to start working on it, I though WTH, let's do it.

Drained the oil first. Got the rubber connector from the AFM to the TB off. [accidently ripped it, just means I'm meant for turbo!!!]

Then I though let's check to see how it fits.. Grabbed the charge pipe, and the coil was touching it!! I think to myself, well this ain't ganna work...

CIMG0245.jpg

So can anyone tell me a better place to relocate it? Where to move it or whatnot?

I also noticed that it was hitting some things right next to where the suspension assembly mounts up....

CIMG0248.jpg

Maybe I just don't have it turned enough or what not.

Also, can someone please tell me how they took care of the AFM? The normal spot it sits on will not allow the rubber hose to connect to the turbo because of hitting the J pipe.

Please help! I don't want her out of the count for toooo long!

If it will you help answer my questions, I'm doing a basic swap over. Using an FMU, exhaust manifold, turbo, and the intake plumbing is all.

Guest 73Turbo240z

What about the bodywork? have you fixed all of that already?

Also do you know of anyone w/ a L28 bottom end in town still, n/a or turbo, doesn't matter. as long as it has good compression.

the compressor housing on the turbo needs to be re-clocked .the bracket on the pipe bolts to the intake manifold.the afm is tricky to mount becuase the flap in the afm has to be vertical-or else it rubs in the afm housing and sticks.get your fabrication hat on.got welder?i mounted my afm on the radaitor core support in front of the radiator with a big k&n clamped on it.i used 3" pvc .this worked for years but i have megasquirt now.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Heh... body work.... heh... Nope, I'll go with a sleeper/beater look for now. I'll start the body work next up, after I get all of this taken care of!Do I know you? LOL sorry I'm really blanking...

I'm off H-I also.

Just finished my swap a couple days ago, here's my AFM setup, it's sitting sideways, but I haven't had any problems yet.

swap6%20008.jpg

swap6%20006.jpg

I don't have A/C in the car, but I tried to make my mount clear the where the compressor would be, so here's what I came up with

I cut the zxt rubber boot about 1" in front of the large vacuum fitting. I used 1 90° 3" stainless bend I got from atpturbo.com and a flex fitting (not sure if I needed that now). I used a sawzall to enlarge the hole so I could stick the pipe out front. I probably should have waited to cut the hole when I actually had the pipe.. but you can see where you don't have to cut.

It may not be the best for flow, but it's the best I could think of in the time I had to do it. I'm not really sure how I'm going to fit a decent sized intercooler out front with the filter the way it is right now, so I might have to rethink that later.

• 2 months later...