HybridZ

I cheated on my guages..

Dramier

I broke down and bought an RB25 instrument cluster to end the woes of trying to convert the Z31 digital dash for use with the RB25DET engine.

Now all I have to do is plug everything in and fabricate some mounting tabs for the 'new' cluster.

Got a couple of questions for you guys.. First off, where's the best place to get an RB20 speedo cable? (Also, are the RB25/RB20 tranny speedo cable pinion gears the same or different?)

Second, just curious if anybody already has a guage template for MPH to print out and overlay or knows where I could find one.. I can do it myself with time, but figured I'd ask first. By guage template, I mean a circular pattern with the speed in MPH on it you print out on clear overlay sticky sheet and cut and paste onto the cluster.. I've seen this done on many other KM/H only guage clusters, so maybe somebody here has done this already.

• 1 month later...

i'm in malaysia so i run on kmh... i have installed the nismo gtr33 instrument cluster in my 280zx.. it was pretty much plug n play.. as for the ratio for rb20 vs rb25 tranny's. they are different. you also have to take your rear diff into account.. as a conclusion your speed reading will be wrong all the time unless you know how to regear everything to fit well. i'm running a r200 rear diff with 4.11 final drive and a standard r33 gts tranny geared speed sensor with 17" rims so i dont know jack!! ahhahahah

• 8 months later...

I'm interested in the size of these gauges as well - hopefully someone has some dimensions. However in the current EBAY auctions you can see the back of the gauge clusters which are solid pieces and may be difficult to take apart to fit the old z gauge pods.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINES-SKYLINE-RB26-R32-320kmh-Gauge-Cluster-GTR-BNR32_W0QQitemZ230001499744QQihZ013QQcategoryZ72205QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NISMO-SKYLINE-R32-320kmh-Gauge-Cluster-GTR-BNR32_W0QQitemZ330001114586QQihZ014QQcategoryZ72205QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330000312102&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT

I am in the process of fitting a Speedo and Tacho from a “GM VL Holden†(the vehicle I removed my RB30 from), into the original 260z housings! The VL also has a plastic gauge cluster and all the actual gage mechanisms are separate and they are naked (just the inside mechanism with the dial and needle). most of this type of dash are like this so I would think the R32 would be the same.

The donor car has almost the same diff ratio and wheel dia. so the speedo should be correct.

VLDash.jpg

Also here is the Z speedo gear chart for 14" wheels

Gear colour Diff Ratio No. of Teeth

YELLOW 3.36 16

BLACK 3.54 17

BLUE 3.70 18

WHITE 3.90 19

RED 4.11 20

PURPLE 4.38 21