HybridZ

turbo cv joint axles-boot split, now what-help?

1 tuff z

i was at the glen yesterday and the drivers side inner boot split on my 280zx cv axle [on my 73 240]. i pulled both axles and the boots all show dry rot in the "valleys". i took them to the place here that everyone seems to recommend [i've also had work done there before] and they think the inner boot will be a problem due to the wide band that clamps the boot. it's not like the other boots that have the ~1/4" wide band clamp, it's about 2.5-3" wide and 'rolled' at each end.

anyone have any ideas? gotta get this fixed before track day-in less than 2 weeks!

thanks, david

I've run into the same problem. Even worse, no matter where I went to exchange my axles for rebuilt ones, their catalogs only list a single part number (no differentiation for left and right sides). Now we all know the two axles are different in length, but this fact is not reflected in their part numbers.

I do not have anybody in town that can rebuild my shafts, so I ordered the VB boots (which have the steel band around the boot) and carefully rounded the edges of this band around the CV housing. It is not pretty, and you've got to be patient and take care in doing this, but it did work.