HybridZ

Stock 1970 240z rear leaking

icewtr

I have a 70 240z stock rear diff and i noticed a puddle under the back of the car of gear oil ... i don't see any cracks or leaks around the cover and i found it only leaks after i spin the tires in the burn out box at the track .... never seems to leak after normal driving .. has anyone had a prob with the breather on the diff or can i block that off or try some other cap on it ..ps i did make sure it is not over filled

You'll typically blow fluid out of the breather doing burnouts or working the unit hard and getting it hot. Don't plug the breather off or you'll start blowing fluid out the side and front pinion seals.

Buy another breather from MSA and modify it so you can attach a hose to the end. Run that hose to a catch can that you mount on the right side in front of the fuel tank.

Also, the next time you have the rear cover off the diff, buy a rear diff cover gasket for the front diff of a NiIssan 720 4x4 pickup. It has a little flange that protects the inside end of the breather tube from direct splashing of the diff fluid.