HybridZ

Rust on frame rail question

aarang

Well I have the motor/trans out of my car again. I had all the front suspension pieces powder coated and ready to go back in. I noticed a few spots of rust where the bolts for the crossmember goes through, so I started to remove the paint. It seems that the rust just keeps going for a while under the paint. The more I remove, the more I find, but it does end before the trans tunnel area and is not under the undercoat. This rust is really light, I can remove it with some light sanding. It is definitely surface rust as this was a SoCal car all its life with 60k miles until I got it. The car is garaged and probably won't ever be driven in the rain again.

I guess my question is should this concern me? I will sand off and repaint as much as I can see. Is POR overkill for this? I definitely have a case of the "while I'm at its", as this project just keeps getting bigger.

Thanks all

Aaron

Treat the rust cancer with the rust converter chemical which is probably the whole key to future rust prevention. I cannot remember all the brand names for this chemical (osfoss/phosphoric acid) but I still have plenty of the chemical itself left over from a POR 15 paint purchase of which paint I never plan to use again. But I will defitely use the chemical and use rattle can paint before I use the POR 15 crap. I read our paint guru Ernie Racer X recomends zero rust.I would rely on his advice. rinse off the rust converter and paint

i just saw that jc whitney sells Zero Rust ... 24 bucks a quart ... 54 a gallon ...

the por 15 needs to have a top coating over it ... they call it a tie coating ... before you can paint over it ...

the zero rust and rust bullet can be painted over with regular primers and paints ...

if you use a rust neutralizer/cleaner such as por 15 metal prep or any other acid based product , be sure to get it all off before you use any rust covering product ...

if there is any rust, surface or otherwise, it would be best to use the zero rust or rust bullet to to stop and convert the rust to something that can be painted over. other wise your primer may end up flaking off, taking the top coat with it. i have also seen rust bleed through the primer and top coat.

rust bullet has a special body filler one may use to fill in the rough spots ... smooth the frame, then spray it with either rust bulet or the zero rust ...

por 15 needs special thinner to be sprayed ... and again a tie coat to before it can be top coated with your color of choice.

i'd stick with the zero rust or rust bullet ...

i haven't used zero rust.

i have used both the rust bullet and the por 15.

rust bullet is a whole lot easier and cheaper to use than the por 15. you don't need all the special prepping and cleaners one needs with the por 15 to apply the rust bullet.

independent testing results show that rust bullet and zero rust are as good or better than the paint over rust 15.

which ever product you decide to use, i would coat the frame with one of those products before you primer and paint ...

if there are any screw or bolt holes, see if you can get some sort of sprayer that will allow you to spray what you can inside the frame rails as well ... they usually rust from the inside out ...

good luck, wayne

wayne