HybridZ

Attaching MSA body kit....

80LS1T

Ok when it comes to body work Im a noobie. Now Im not sure how to start with attaching the body kit, so heres a few questions....

1. The parts where the body kit will cover, do I sand those down and primer them and then just paint them say black(wont be seen anyways?) or do I just leave those parts alone and attach the body kit over and just spray the whole car in primer and leave those parts in the original paint(again they wont be seen)?

2. Some parts of the kit dont fit the body very good and will really need to be held tight to the body. What should I use to do this? I have read about using 2 sided tape but I find it hard to beleive that this will hold it tight.

For attaching the body kit I was thinking of using stainless steel screw and counter sinking them into the fiberglass then using something to cover the screw(like glassing over them?) But I dont know if I will have issues with the screws coming back out and then ruining the paint? Anybody ever heard of doing this or known if this is a bad idea?

Thanks,

Guy

Guest TegRacer324

I'm no help with most of what you're asking, but I will tell you that holding them down tightly double sided tape will probably work. You'd be suprised at how strong that stuff is. I have the front lip on my Integra held on with that stuff and it hasn't fallen off yet.

80LT1, I've seen some body kits come with double sided tape. One time we got one with it and I was laughing about using it. I decided to use it to hold the kit to the car while I fit the kit and attached it by other means. Well... we stuck it to the car with the tape and later could not get the darn thing off!!! I mean it was STRONG! One note, I don't think all double sided tape is created equal. This was white kind of foam stuff, slightly thicker then normal black double sided.

Attachment methods vary, just don't try to 'mold' fiberglass to steel, it will crack. Screws in the wheel openings are always a good start. If the paint under the kit is sound, no need to prime or repaint.

I would agree, no priming or prep is needed if the paint underneath is needed. I used duouble sided tape and it is true not all is created equal, to hold it in place and position it where I needed, then at the wheel wells drilled, bolted and nutted, the pieces together.

Its held together for over two years now without fail.

Guest Brian260ZT

Ztherapy.com sells a video that Scott Bruning (sp?) made with detailed information on installing the MSA kit.

I think I own it, I'll check and see. If so, I'll sell it $15.00 shipped.

Thx,

Brian

I used both the double sided tape and added countersunk screws on the side moldings to hold them in place and take the twist out of them.

I also had to add fiberglass to the under side of the rear bumper to close in the gaps. I used flexible body filler on gaps and to cover the screws.

I think I am going to use both double sided tape and I will have to use the countersunk screws to hold the side skirts tight to the body. I would think if this was ureathan then the tape would be enough but this is fiberglass.

Now on my rear skirt there is a chip in it on the corner, what can I use to fix this? Will I need to get some fiberglass stuff to fix it?

Thanks

Guy