HybridZ

Bad Compressor Surge

Bernardd

I've swapped my .81 housing for the .63 housing. On a part throttle acceleration around 3.5-4k I get nasty surge. When I launch car and back off a bit to control wheelspin I get the surge although not as badly as a part throttle accel. There is very little boost being built on the part throttle situation and it's making the car into a full throttle or idling ride. I had a slight problem with this with my bigger housing but only at a very specific point and never at launch.

Specs:

60-1 hifi wheel .70 a/r to4b comp

stage 3 .63 turbine housing

older style hks bov

I think I'll be putting the bigger housing back on if I can't remedy this.

I should also mention that the bov could be loosened up a bit, it's held upto 28psi of pressure without leaking.

Bernard

how do you know your getting compressor surge?!

are you just hearing a flutter?! because the BOV is soo tight.. the valve open and closes very very very fast.. so you hear a pshh psh pshh pshh pshh.. almost like a butterfly flutter...

doesn't necessarily mean it's surge

The car bucks like hell, and starts to knock if I don't tromp it or back off. I can certainly try loosening off the valve.

Edit: I don't think loosening the valve would help in my situation. This is during accel not decel. It occurs at about 1-2 psi and above.

yeh.. sounds like you have a boost leak coming out of the BOV...

if your running stock electronics the AFM already measured the air and is spraying tons of fuel...

with a boost/air leak AFTER the AFM along the intercooler piping or BOV is bad, since the AFM doesnt detect it so your running really really rich.. hence the bogging and mis-firing.. have you noticed poor poor MPG?!

This is why it bogs and you cant build boost properly

Guest bastaad525

I had that happen when I accidentally forgot to hook the hose back up to my BOV from the intake manifold.... BOV was going open on boost and the car ran like crap and made some very interesting noises.

I had that happen when I accidentally forgot to hook the hose back up to my BOV from the intake manifold.... BOV was going open on boost and the car ran like crap and made some very interesting noises.

I've forgotton to connect the hose as well, that isn't the problem. The car isn't going rich at all. It's staying around high 12's and low 13's for afr's. Gas mileage hasn't changed. It doesn't matter anymore, there's a good posibility the car will be gone soon anyway.