HybridZ

tried something today

MaTTSuN

My 81 turbo swap has not been running so good. ive cleaned everything changed sensorsand all that stuff.

today i was messing with the afm when it was idle. when i pulled the flap closed a little it would start to run smoother and when i let go it would run choppy again.

Befor i adjust the AFM id like some more input on this. thanks

Guest boosted

I dont have any input but noticed the same exact thing here too. I removed the cap on the AFM and did the same thing as you. I was under the inpresion that i was running rich but would idle smoother if i closed the flapper a little. should be the other way around though . if if was running rich then i would need to add more air or cut back the fuel... right ?

i guess that sounds right, but i think when you pull the flap closed it cuts some of the fuel down as well as the air. The point im stuck at is should i mess with the AFM or keep chasing down wiring issues? i really want to drive this thing so bad.

I dont have any input but noticed the same exact thing here too. I removed the cap on the AFM and did the same thing as you. I was under the inpresion that i was running rich but would idle smoother if i closed the flapper a little. should be the other way around though . if if was running rich then i would need to add more air or cut back the fuel... right ?

Nope it is reverse. There is a certain amount of air that bypasses the flap of the afm. So even if you completely close the flap the engien "should" continue to idle. When you close the flap manually all you are doing is telling the ecu that it is getting alot less air and it in turn gives it alot less fuel. So that is why it idles better. My guess is your car is running too rich. If you have never touched the afm then I would first look at the tps sensor, head temp sensor, fuel pressure. If the tps is not open at idle then the car will richen the fuel mixture at all times. If the head temp sensor is off then it will think the car is colder than it is so it will give it more fuel. Finally if the fuel pressure is higher the car will getting more fuel since the fuel injector will spray more fluid thru it during the time it is open. Look there first. Good luck.

thanks Thumper i think i got a better understanding of how it all works. ive been posting some newbee sounding post but u guys have been great. thanks allot

i changed the FPR but no diff ima just buy some new sensors ad be done with that.