HybridZ

Witch head for RB30DETT?

hat1324

Well, I was going to get a entire clip for my swap plans, but decided it would cost more then getting the parts indirectly..

I cant decide between the RB heads to start the project, I know the 26 flows more and the intake is much more convienent.. but it is also more expensive

h ere is my current swap list needed(from my research)

RB30 block and internalls

RB26 or RB25 head

Intake for ^^^

fuel rail and injectors

all sensors

harness

power FC

gasket set

Aftermarket oil pump

Custom oil pan

waterpump

alternator

rb25 5 speed transmission(or just the bell housing, and a Z32 tranny)

custom mounts

modify tensoner for new 152 tooth belt..

Im thinking I can get some parts(water pump, alternator,sensors, injectors) USDM

if I go piece by piece what parts should I make sure I have? Coils, Sensors, Harness...

I have been basing much of my build off of a skylinesaustralia forum.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15420

Over 100 pages of information on that forum.

My setup will be using the 26 head. A local machine shop has tapped out the block for the larger diameter head bolts.

Getting the parts indirectly is not an easy task. It will nickle and dime you to death not to mention the time involved.

I would personally drop the power fc in favor for a stand alone. I will be using a Haltech for mine but there are quite a few other brands that offer as much, all of wich offer more tuning capabillities than the power fc. Here in australia a Haltech fully fitted and tuned on a dyno is around $2000au. A Power fc is around $1500au fitted and tuned. I believe they are popular in japan because of price and availability there compared to the stand alones. Most of them are made here though so I dont know what there worth where you are.

As for wich head, here an rb25 head is worth around $1000-1500au and an rb26 head around $2000-2500au. The stock intake on the rb26 is pretty good and also convenient but I could not go to the huge amount of trouble for this swap only to use the crappy, inconvenient rb25 intake. An aftermarket intake goes for around $1000-1500au. So my logic says go for the rb26 head. Plus its better.

IIRC the power fc is considered a standalone but it uses your stock harness and sensors whereas most others use their own harness and can use your stock sensors or aftermarket. Also the powerfc is a plug and play type standalone because it has basemaps for your motor application.

The term "standalone" was just my termanology to distinguish between a plugin and a full standalone. If you use a plugin you will have to find a stock harness around $600- 900au here. Any good tuner should be able to get by fairly easily without a base map. The base map would only be usefull if you were going to tune it youself, not something I would attempt on a high powered turbo. The power fc just simply doesnt compare to a proper standalone in its tuning capabillities. And the end price difference between the two options is minimal. Also would the power fc have a base map for a hybrid engine.