HybridZ

SON OF A... $%#&@!!

Wagz

I am going light a stick of freaking dynamite under the 260!...:mad:

Several weeks back, after getting this field muffin running for the first time in 10 years, I lost a lash pad, keepers and bent the #5 intake valve. I finally get all the parts, get the head back together and today I am torquing the head bolts... Yeah, you guessed it... one of them strips out on the last torque iteration...

I followed the ol shop manual verbatim: 29ft/lbs on the first pass through the sequence, 43ft/lbs on the second pass. The manual says the final pass should be anywhere from 47 to 61 ft/lbs on the last pass so, I split the difference and go 55ft/lbs. I get to the last bolt over the #1 cylider and, as I'm slowly tightening, I get that really bad sensation you get when the threads start to pull... Oh, Crap! So, I backed the torque wrench off to 40ft/lbs and tried it again... spins fairly easily. So, now I have a stripped bolt/hole in the block.

Anyone have advice? Should I use a 1/4 stick of dynamite placed under the full gas tank or should I see if I can buy a fair quantity of C-4 and really put on a fireworks show? :banghead::fmad:

Seriously, advice on the best way to go about repairing this? Helicoil? Should I even attempt a helicoil w/o pulling the motor? I'm afraid of not drilling/tapping the block perfectly straight...

Sounds like a good excuse to do an engine swap.....

Yeah, Its tempting. I've got a fresh 355 and T56 sitting in the shop, but that is slated for the Velo Rossa...

Now that I've had a chance to calm down a bit, I think I'll just end up inserting a helicoil or timesert into the block. I just wish I could come up with a method for drilling/tapping the threads perfectly straight w/o pulling the motor...

I feel your pain. My 1st go at pulling a head came crashing down in the same way. My torque wrench when set to 60 foot pounds was doing 115 pounds. Well I stripped 2 bolts and wrecked a hole in the block near cylinder 1 also.

Your best choice is to remove the head, and put in a helicoil. If you were really serious you could do all the holes as a helicoil is alot stronger than the original cast iron threads.

Guest 305240

Try inserting a longer bolt with more threads. See if it wiill go past the stripped out part. If it does, and you can torque it, cut off the bolt head (after you mark it and take it out) and cut some threads and put a nut on it. I've did this on a few items that have been stripped out.

Use a Heli-Coil, like has been stated before they are much stronger than the steel of the block and not that hard to get in straight. I had to put one in the nose of my crankshaft and had no problems torqueing it to 70 ft/lbs. I would seriously consider doing all of the head bolts while you have it apart, it would really suck to strip another and have to go through the exercise again.

Wheelman

Gosh.. Mark I hope you did not go up with the dynamite too !!!!!!! A few 44 mag rounds would work for me.

He he.:icon56: No, so far, the car and myself are both still intact. I decided to stay out of the shop for a few days and do anything non-automotive related. I didn't even cruise the HybridZ forum for a few days (got to be a record for me. I was flirting with withdrawl sysmptoms).

I'll probably pick up a helicoil kit this week and get back to it next weekend.

Thanks for the offer of the short block. Hopefully, I won't need to take you up on it. How's the GTO project going?

I finally got those miserable warped inner fenders fitted and modified by trimming away 2/3's of them and and adding more fiberglass to align with the inside of the outer fenders. I swear they will stay in without any fastners or bonding now. Sun burnned one eye because I do not wear my prescription sun glasses working on the GTO for fear of cruding them up. Over dosed on a muscle relaxers because of the intense eye discomfort and now some strange woman is calling the house.I was not gone two hours to grocery shop. Wife is in Europe. ......Do not start robbing the Vello Rossa for parts.,. I have been tempted to rob the Tomahawk for Parts for the GTO but that would be a fatal step in the wrong direction. Tomahawk would never get finished. Polyester fiberglass resin went from $15.00 a gallon to $21.00 overnight in your own bulk container at the cheapest source around here and solvent goes for $80 plus dollars for 20 gallons in your own container.