HybridZ

looking for a laptop

olie05

I'm starting to look for a good laptop to use for megasquirt, among other things. I want a bare bones set up. This is not going to be a jukebox, i plan to only go on the internet with it occasionaly write papers, and When I get the MegaSquirt set up, tune my car with it. From what I've read, Megasquirt connects with a serial port? Can anyone recommend a good laptop to buy used? I'm looking for something under $300. I would also be willing to run win98 on it if it works better with the megasquirt software.

thanks

-Oliver

well right now im taking a crap and writing this on a lovely IBM. IMO they are the ONLY brand that should be concidered when looking for laptops. i have a T23, which i got on ebay for about 450 with a one year warente. you can get a earlier version for 300 if you look around. rugged, good looks, does all i need.

yes. inspiron laptops suck more than a catholic school girl on a prom night

Mine was free and it still works.

Try eBay or LOCALLY OWNED computer shops. They might have something old and cheap there. Sometimes the local university surplus shop has some.

You'll find millions on eBay, thats for sure. Heat kills them though, don't leave them in the car. Just get pretty much anything with a serial port, since you're not looking to do much with it.

Mario

most of the new laptops only have usb ports.i have a very old ibm(vintage 1996) its has a 9 pin port for db9 cable.a bigger screen would be good .should be able to fine a good enough laptop for $100 or $200.some thing with a cigarette lighter power cable would be good too.

Guest 73Turbo240z
I'm starting to look for a good laptop to use for megasquirt' date=' among other things. I want a bare bones set up. This is not going to be a jukebox, i plan to only go on the internet with it occasionaly write papers, and When I get the MegaSquirt set up, tune my car with it. From what I've read, Megasquirt connects with a serial port? Can anyone recommend a good laptop to buy used? I'm looking for something under $300. I would also be willing to run win98 on it if it works better with the megasquirt software.

thanks

-Oliver[/quote']

i want one too!!

lol dont mean to steal ur thread.. but meee tooo!

i have 2 laptops, possibly a third if your good with getting around linux...

1st ones a compaq presario 1220, win 98 se... $75 + shipping

2nd one is a compaq presario 1621, has linux on it and i don't know how to operate it... $75 + shipping

3rd is a compaq presario 1600 w/ 184 megs of ram, wireless card, 500mhz, win XP pro - $150 + shipping.

Guest 81na ZX
Sometimes the local university surplus shop has some.

Try and stay clear of University surplus for full computers. For individual pieces, its ok, but in my experiances the complete systems are way overpriced.