HybridZ

LS1 Swap

Guest Daddyrick

Guest Daddyrick

My son and I are starting a v8 project using a 78 240Z that will also be rebodied with the Stable Autoworks Isabella kit. We want to use a fuel injected motor with a 6-speed trans. I have not seen anything about swapping an LS1 engine. Is anyone working on such a swap or does anyone have any info about the feasiblity of this combination. Cost matters, but not much.

an ls1 is what i'm planning on (but then, my plans are rather long term right now wink.gif). i got the impression that nobody's done it before, but it should mostly be a matter of new engine mounts. i think. the t56 isn't a problem though.

if you go through with it, please document it fully!

Well, you've stumbled onto the same project that I have underway! I'm using a '76 280, but have the same goals in mind - Stable kit with an LS1 mated to a T56 tranny....

The v-8 conversion is well documented here, and there is no particular trick to the LS1 as far as mounting it provided you are using the JTR mounts and have ALL the accessories for the LS1 (computer, starter, alt., etc)

I would assume that you are also looking at using an aftermarket wiring kit? Painless makes serveral variations- I'm going with the 18 lead kit...

At present I've got a stripped chasis awaiting some minor floor/frame work (only because I'm picky about what is to be done) and then I will strip off all the paint while the air is dry in the winter, prime and prepare for mounting the body in the spring. The more difficult part is locating an engine/transmission that is reasonably priced. In Chicago, the wrecking yards get over $3K for the pair, but I've seen partials on e-bay if you are willing to buy pieces and reassemble...frankly- I want a drop-in right now...

Please share your experiences with us here in the forum...feel free to contact me so we can share our progress!

Guest Daddyrick

This is the kit based on the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. Stable Autoworks manufactures the kit under the name Isabella

quote:

Originally posted by v8dats:

what is the stable kit?

If you're finding LS1 motors WITH the T56 for $3K in good shape I'd jump on it! Kripes, depending on where you are the silly T56 can run well over a grand. The LS1 is all aluminum but I'm not sure it's really lighter. Would be a REALLY cool motor to have in a Z tho' smile.gif Please document it as much as you can...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Daddyrick

Does anyone have any information on an LS1 swap? I'm planning this as my engine, but hate to be the first to do the swap. Since I'm in no rush, I can take the time to do it right, but even Mike Knell of JTR could not offer any assistance. Looking for an LS1 GURU!