HybridZ

Removing R200 vsld R230 carrier

Stevej

Anybody taken the carrier out of an R200vsld or an R230?

I'm looking for the way to release the stub axles to get them out the sides.

I'm assuming I'm missing something obvious but since they don't bolt from the outside like R180 or R200 there has to be a circlip or something accessible from inside the case.

I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks for any info.

Steve

There is a circlip type thing inside the carrier but it's not accessible. The only way to get the shafts out is to pull them put. Recommend a damn heavy slide hammer securely fastened to the shaft. Once you've got one out though you can use a long drift passing through the carrier and hammer the other side out as an alternative method. It's a right royal PITA though!

Make sure you remember/label which side each shaft came out of too. One is considerably longer than the other on the viscous diff.

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Hi Guys,

I'm going to the JY tomorrow. If I find a CLSD R200, what's the best way to remove it, and what tools does a bum like myself need?

Sockets? Sizes? Johnson-bar? Ratches? Cro-bars?

Thanksssssszszzszsz!

If I rememebr correctly at a minmum youll need a 14MM socket (front cross member and bolt that connects the front of the diff to the cross member), two 12mm wrenches (drive shaft bolts front and nut side, and axle nuts/bolts) these maybe 14mm but I believe they are 12mm. The nuts on the rear of the diff that holds them into the mustache bar is a 21 or 22mm socket if I remember correctly. Now I dont know what type of axles are on the diff your getting but just make sure you have the usual 10-22MM sockets and a couple of 12,14mm wrenches and maybe a 17mm wrench, a screw driver and youll be fine. All of this is meant for a S30 so S130 or above Im not sure.

Terry