HybridZ

cylinder hd question

Guest Fast Frog

Not sure, but my guess is that a wedge chamber is like the old fashioned SBC and others with the chamber being basically wedge shaped (if you cut the head short ways and look at the end on view).

I'd think a canted valve head could be wedge or hemispherical, with the valves canted at different angles.

I'm probably all wrong though.

I'm not exactly sure either, but I think Pete is on the right track here. I believe the SBC Chevy head is a good example of a wedge head where the intake and exhaust valves are at the same angle to the head. A BBC would be a good example of a canted head where the valves are not at the same angle. I'm sure someone can explain this better.

-Andy

Guest RON JONES

You guys are on the money.Also canted SBC heads have the exuast ports evenly spaced like a BBC head.Ever see a SBC Winston Cup motor and wonder why the two exuast ports in the middle of the head are not right next to each other,Canted heads.

Guest Fast Frog

Thanx guys!!

I've also done a little research on my own. Canted hds are like Ron says, and their angle is less than standard hds (23deg vs 18deg). The canted hd gives the valves a less severe angle to the side of the hd, thus, lessening valve shrouding caused by the valve being to close to the side of the hd and slowing the air/fuel mixture at higher rpm.