HybridZ

Interest in reproduction 70-71 240z center consoles?

ezzzzzzz

I have a new still-in-the-box reproduction center console for my '71 240Z. It is made from fiberglass and comes very close to the original in grain. Before I swap it out for my slightly damaged unit I thought I'd ask about interest in these. I was thinking that an ABS console could be mass produced at a local plastics company. It would look just like the original but be far more durable. I know it doesn't count for concourse but try to find an original in topnotch shape for any amount of money. If there is a real interest then I'll make the contacts to see what could be done and how much. I'll post a picture of these piece so you'll know the quality of the finished product.

Guest 73TPIZ

That would be great. Are the 70-71 much different from the 72-73? Mine currently has some cracks in it. But i have to leave it for now as it matches my cracked dash.:roll:

The only problem i could see is some (including myself) would want a slightly different variation of the original. Kinda like the fiberglass/CF hoods where some want no cowl, 2" cowl, 4" cowl, with/without vents, etc.

I had thought of tackling the remaking/modifying of my '73 console. Eliminate the choke slot, raise the small compartments at the back, and put a cushioned lid on them for an armrest. Not take away from the look so much as to just make it more practical and appealing. I figured i could rough in the changes with fiberglass and then cover it with black vinyl for looks.

Others will soon chime in. Take Care.

Are the 70-71 much different from the 72-73? :roll:

The storage area on the 70-71 is non existant. I think the 72-73 is alot better as you can put stuff in it and even get a lid for it. The shifter whole is also smaller.

I put tape over my slots on the outside and fill them with epoxy from the back. Let it set up, removed the tape and painted the 2 strips black.