HybridZ

MS&S problems

ZuL8r

I got everything wired up on my megasquirt last night except the iat sensor, coolant sensor, fuel pump wire b/c i am not using it and the o2 sensor. I wired up one injector to see if things were working properly but it seems they aren't. I have a diy autotune ms and harness. I wired the harness as it shows on the ms website and i wired up the 83zxt distributor as in Moby's install guide. I cannot connect to the megasquirt, no lights come on the ms when I turn the motor over, the coil gets kinda hot after about 2 min of trying things out and the sparkplugs are not getting fire. I was not trying to get the motor to turn over, I just wanted to see if things were working properly but it seems they aren't.

Guest Loose_Screws

Probably not getting a tach signal. Do you have a laptop with MegaTune connected to MS? Are you getting any feedback in MegaTune, such as gauges moving when you turn on the key? If so, start by removing the dizzy and spinning it with a drill to see if a tach signal is received by MS. If not, check wiring.

Also, which coil are you referring to? Your ignition coil or something on the MS board? Check your power source on the MS board since you said the LED's aren't lighting up.

Guest Loose_Screws
I cannot get the laptop to connect the the ms. The power source for the ms is good. It is the ignition coil that is getting hot, sorry I was not clear on that.

Do you get any error messages on the laptop when you try to connect? If not, and you are not seeing any LED's light up, then you either don't have power or the 5V power supply chip may be toasted.

I open megatune, and then I click on connection. Then I click test the connection. The laptop says failure to connect or cannot connect. I am almost positive the ms has power b/c i tied the ms power, ignition coil power and injector positive side to the same source and they both have power. I am at work right now so I can't actually go troubleshoot on the car. I am trying to gather as much info about my problem as possible so that when I get off work I car try to get the ms working.

i tied the ms power, ignition coil power and injector positive side to the same source and they both have power.

What source is this? I wired mine using all the existing EFI relays. Also, do ANY led's flash when you put the key in the ON position?

The injector(+) are ALWAYS hot from the factory, in a ZX they are at least.

Since the coil is getting hot, I have a feeling that the ignition part is wired up wrong. Could you describe your wiring?

If the factory relays and harness are still in the car, I would recommend using it. If not, the relay board might be a good investment.

I have attached the wiring diagram for the factory ECCS from the FSM, hope that helps,

Mario

eccs_thumb.jpg

I was getting a signal btw the MS and Laptop b/c i had the resistor grounded out on accident on the relay board (it was touching the body of the relay board). Also check ur connections to make sure you have everything in there good well enough. Bad connections held me back... you should also reference the way to test your connection btw the laptop and the MS by using the hyperterminal test where it tests ur cable. Just a few things i had to go through before i got a response btw my laptop and my MS.

Good luck with that, hope you figure it out. Does anyone know off hand if i can wire my aftermarket Autometer tach wire into the TACH PORT on the relay board? or if i have to wire that up some way else? I only wonder b/c there is a wire from the turbo dizzy harness that goes into the tach spot and im wondering if you have those on the same port, if it will effect the spark, as i have no spark. Just wondering if someone knew about that.