HybridZ

New guy, Few questions

Hello All,

I'm new to HybridZ. I've been itching to do a Z car V8 conversion for awhile, bought a 260Z the other day as well as picked up a 400 SBC to go into it.

Little bit of background about me,

ASE certified Master Auto Tech with Advance Performance, as well as Master Engine Machinist.

I have a few years of delaership as well as auto manufacturing experience.

Currently working in Iraq as a private military contractor so I can afford my toys at home. :)

Anyway,

I ordered the JTR book and mounting kit. Was hoping it would all be here today but didn't show.

I have a 400 SBC with Sportsman II's, Air Gap, new rotating assembly, etc.. I just need to assemble this week before I head back to Iraq.

I'm kicking around doing a T56 in this car.

I've done the T56 swap "back when it was hard" :)

I searched the archives and it seems alot of the info is somewhat incorrect and/or outdated.

I have previously mounted a LT1 T56 behind a 454 in a 72 Camaro using a lightweight 153 tooth flywheel, Centerforce DF clutch, McLeod Hyd TO, and a Tilton master. Stock Lt1 bellhousing.

No need for the pull-off style clutch...or related expensive flywheels/parts.

I would likely use a Viper or LS1 trans this time as McLeod has scattershields made for this swap now. Should make things easier.

The car I have is a manual car, so I was thinking of using the stock Datsun clutch master (anybody know the diameter?), a McLeod housing, Viper T56 (mechanical speedo), and a McLeod Hyd TO bearing.

Seems to me this would be the easiest way to mount in the Z car, since it already has a hyd clutch setup.

Has anybody used the stock master for any type of T56 swap, slave cyl or hyd TO?

Anybody use a mechanical linkage setup using a McLeod scattershield, or even a mechanical linkag eon an older 4 speed style setup?

Welcome! and watch your back over there, you know how they love contractors. Did you search in the " drivetrain" section? I don't think anyone is using the stock clutch master with a hyd TO. I think they use a 3/4" master.

I think some people tried the mechanical linkage setup , but not sure if it worked.

One of the easiest T56 swaps is the aftermarket T56 availible from your chevy dealer. Uses the T5 bellhousing with included adapter plate to rotate bell correctly. I think I used a Ford truck 3/4 master with the newer all metal T5 slaves. Also uses the T5 style speedo gear. This is the lower rated 425 lb/ft trans with the .62 6th. No silly skip shift just back up lights and reverse lock out to wire up. I've been using this set up for years behind my 383 with Centerforce dual friction gold. Also have B&M ripper short throw availible, highly recommended. GREAT trans!

John

I got my JTR book and kit today, so have been scanning it for info. Assembled the short block today for the 400. Waiting on a few more parts to long block it.

I may be mistaken, I may have used a 7/8" master before. I used what was recommended by McLeod with their hyd TO, but it left a very short clutch pedal travel.

I may try the T56 with a stock Datsun master.

The "retrofit" T56 is probably not as cost effective as using a Viper or LS1 unit now that McLeod has a scattershield that works for all the T56's.

The McLeod scattershield setup is $335 from Summit, plus the cost of a good used T56, and you are still less than a new retrofit version.

If you get a Viper trans, it should have the mechanical speedo. That takes care of most of the retrofit problems.

Without a computer hookup, non of the T56's have the "skip shift" I didn't have any issues using the LT1 unit behind a BBC.

With the Mcleod setup, you can use a hydraulic or linkage clutch.

Think I have myself talked into this one :)