HybridZ

Ls1 Gto Manifolds

SSflyer

Has anyone tried the new GTO manifolds for fitment? The stock Camaro LS1 passenger side manifold flange is triangular and has one side that hits the frame by about an inch, but from the pictures the new GTO manifold flange is only a 2-bolt type and it also exits lower and a bit farther foreward. If they fit, that solves the cut and reweld the flange problem, and they would certainly look better than a rewelded unit...

• 2 weeks later...

Little bastages looked soooo good in the picture. The fit worse than the LS6 manifolds. Now looking at the Hooker 2077HKR shorties, They are supposedly a drop in replacement for the stock LS1 manifolds. I'm thinking that their advantage is that they're not cast iron, so the flange cut, re-place, re-weld process might be easier. Anyone with experience on these, or do I have to add to my collection of usless exhaust devices?

Just Friday I looked at those again, but it's fairly certain they won't fit my set-up. I made my own mounts ala Jeromio, and the K-member brace is directly where the passenger side header dumps. I need a set with a rear exit. I know some guys have welded an extension to the stock manifold and I'll do that if necessary, but I'm not too keen on that solution. The third option would be to attempt to make my own...

Just Friday I looked at those again, but it's fairly certain they won't fit my set-up. I made my own mounts ala Jeromio, and the K-member brace is directly where the passenger side header dumps. I need a set with a rear exit. I know some guys have welded an extension to the stock manifold and I'll do that if necessary, but I'm not too keen on that solution. The third option would be to attempt to make my own...

Get in touch with Jeremy at Sanderson Headers. 800-669-2430

They have several LS1 headers on the shelf that have rear dump positions and also he can tweek them to fit. It may take a few back and forths via mail but I think you will be happy. He is really great to work with.

UPDATE: I actually won an EBAY auction for set of the Hooker shorties before I could call Sanderson, and wonder of wonders... they fit like they were made for the car! The flange will still need to be removed and extensions welded on, but they tuck in nice and tight, the drivers side will clear the steering (shaft will be moved to the outside by 3/8"), and the passenger side dumps perfectly between the starter and the frame. My engine is set 1/2" to the passenger side, but with the flange removed there might be another 1/4" if it's needed. So now I guess I can sell my ls1, ls6, and GTO manifolds!!

The big advantage of using the JTR LS1 headers is that the LS1 engines respond best to 1-3/4" tubes.

Most of the shorty LS1 headers are 1-5/8" and this produces noticeably less power than the 1-3/4", even with an otherwise stock LS1 engine.

The John's car LS1 V8 mounting kit for the Z car is pretty good because it does allow the 1-3/4" headers.

• 7 months later...