HybridZ

Which 5 or 6 speeds fit 1986 350 block?

RPMS

Sorry to ask such a newbie question, but it's such a general subject that doing a search yields an insurmountable number of results. I guess I should know this, but it's my first American engine, and I don't know which transmissions fit what blocks. I've got a vintage 1986 block, if that helps any. I don't see putting any more than 400 hp through whatever tranny I put in there. I like the T56's 1:.5 final drive ratio for freeway cruising, but I could live with something not quite as high, I think.

As far as 6-speeds, am I correct in thinking that a T56 will fit with the correct bell housing? If so, can I buy ANY T56 and swap housings, or are some tranny cases different than others? And are there any players other than Richmond and Tremec in this game?

About 5-speeds: Will any RWD GM 5-speed work, or do I need to look for something specific? I've seen a few truck transmissions for sale - are they compatible enough to use?

I bought the JTR book, but since moving last year, I can't find the damned thing. I know they talked about this stuff, and it's frustrating to have all this information available, but not be able to access it.

Thanks, guys. Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Guest Battle Pope

I think that the T56 with the LS1/2 bellhousing will fit any small block. I'm not 100% sure though. I know they fit LS1s and LT1s at least.

If I'm not mistaken, truck trannies will be too big for the trans tunnel.

5spd:

T5 from F-bodies will bolt up, but are a bit weak.The WC-T5 (WC=world class) will bolt up and is a bit stronger.

If I remember correctly from my JTR book, there are several truck trannys that would work, but weren't recommended. I could be incorrect in that memory, though.

6spd:

T56 will bolt up with stock bell housing, but will require a special flywheel.

-or -

T56 with an aftermarket bell housing (example: Weir Hotrod Products bellhousing)will bolt-up and utilize the stock flywheel and clutch setup.

The LT1 T56 is physically different from the LS1 T56. Although, I can't tell you specifically what the differences are. (probably bolt pattern on the bell or input/output shafts)

I don't know of aftermarket trannys other than Tremec or Richmond.

So let me see if I've got this straight - I should be looking for a world class T5 (which would bolt right up), or an LS1-style T56 (which would require some parts swapping).

Wagz, your mention of bell housings generates more questions. Is it cheaper/better to go with an aftermarket flywheel and clutch and the stock housing, or the stock flywheel and clutch and aftermarket housing? And is there any other advantage of either method? I seem to recall reading that modifying the clutch system of the T56 to the Datsun hydraulics involved cobbling stuff together.

Which cars came with appropriate 5-speeds? I'm assuming the late 80's Camaro/Firebirds with 305/350's would work?

Thanks for the replies - I look forward to hearing more!

Back when I was trying to decide which direction to go, I determined that, in the long run, it would be less expensive to buy the aftermarket bellhousing and use whatever stock-type clutch I wanted. Over time, replacing the older style clutches would be much less expensive than replacing the clutch you had to use with the T56/aftermarket flywheel setup. The other advantage was the simple hydraulic throwout bearing setup that came with the Weir Hotrod bellhousing. Weir makes adaptors that will adapt either the LT1 or LS1 style T56. Here's some info about the Weir setup

Since, then a few other companies have come out with adapters/bellhousings. I'm willing to bet the prices have come down a bit too. I think both McLeod and Lakewood have products now.

So, I don't really know which direction will be more affordable these days. I bought my stuff almost 2 years ago.

If you go the 5-speed route, look for late '80s to '92 Camaros/Firebirds. I'd do a search on the WC T5 and determine if it will handle the torque your motor will be putting out and how to identify it in a wrecking yard.

I am pretty sure that an lt1 t56 should bolt right up. All GM sbc 350 blocks including LT1 have pretty much same casting, no?

I'd suggest asking in the chevy forum, even though this is the drivetrain, you would get better information in the chevy forums because it's closer to the motor than drivetrain as far as information category goes

• 3 years later...

The T-5 transmission is rated at around 300 ft lbs of torque. (came with the 305 engine) If requires the t-5 bell housing which was tilted slightly to clear the chassis design in the camaro/firebird. The improved T-5 is called the world class. It's a direct bolt in 26 spline tranny. It's a external hyd slave type clutch release which requires a modification of the hyd hose to adapt to a aftermarket clutch master cylinder or you can go internal... It works but any high torque abuse and you'll be picking up the parts under your car. Best 5 speed option is tremex TKO 500 or 600 5 speed. Set up for early chevy, direct bolt in, bullit proof. Requires internal hyd throw out. I have a TKO 600 (600 ft lbs capable) in a 240z with JTR set back motor mounts. 0.64 overdrive

in 5th/cruises at 2200 @ 70 mph. Theres a lot of info on t 5's and tremex TKO on the web...check it out.