HybridZ

Any S30 power steering conversion updates?

I took the BEAST on the MSA show autocross course in California Speedway. It was great. Very direct. Although it's a little twitchy on the freeway, I got use to it. As far as the install is concerned it's NOT a bolt in. The crossmember has to be modified in 3 places. The tierod ends have to be cut 3 to 4 inches and rethreaded. and the steering shafte from both the Z and the miata have to be cut and rewelded together. Then metric to -4 and -6 adapters were needed for the high pressure lines to the GM remote resevor pump. A Zoop's bracket to mount the pump to the driver side of the engine was also needed. It took me a better part of a month and a half to figure everything out. I had the crossmember modified by a local Z repair shop, and I did the rest. It's was not easy , but I think it was worth it. Now there were concerns of bumpsteer because the miata rack is wider at the inner tierod joint's by 2 1/2 inches. I didn't feel any, but then again the autocross was very smooth, and on the street's I don't drive fast enough around bumpy corners to feel it. Still ,I'm in the proccess of installing a 2004 Subaru Forester rack during the repair proccess of my car now.

It's was not easy , but I think it was worth it. Now there were concerns of bumpsteer because the miata rack is wider at the inner tierod joint's by 2 1/2 inches. I didn't feel any, but then again the autocross was very smooth, and on the street's I don't drive fast enough around bumpy corners to feel it...I'm in the proccess of installing a 2004 Subaru Forester rack during the repair proccess of my car now.

Hmmm, I took the PS unit from a 3rd gen RX7 and it looks a lot like the Miata rack with the same 2.5" offset, only it is mounted the same way a Z rack is.

How does the Subie rack compare??? Just very curious...

Davy

Well DavyZ, miata rack is offset to the passanger side. So the passanger side tierod is shorter bt and iinch than the driver. So on some past post's here, someone said that the subbaru's rack is the same size as the stock Z's. So I went to a recylcer and confirmed that indeed the rack's inner meassurement is 25 inches. I purchased the rack and I'm trying to install it now. The problem I'm running into know is that the subi's rack's input and output fittings areon the back side of the rack so they are hitting the crossmember. I had to make a very deep and large cutout to make roon for the fittings. The miata rack's outlet's are on top, so they clear the crossmember. But as they say, if there's a will, there's a way. I'll get it installed.

Ak-z . I got the forester rack because it was the only one avail. Allthe wrx rack's get snatched up. Besides I wanted to slow down the steering compared to the Miata rack's really quick response. Although I did get use to it. I won't be done with the install until I get my car back from the body shop.