HybridZ

v8? or bored pistons?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey guys. i have a 85 300zx turbo and i was recently thinking of stickin a v8 into it. but then i was thinkin about all the mods i would have to do to the rest of the car like new hood if it doesnt fit, maybe tranny, and drivetrain stuff like that. The OTHER alternative is to get the engine machined and bored out. i could buy a kit and stuff like that and could easliy get some pretty good horse as well. BUT, would that make the block weak? and would i have to do serious mods to the drivtrain if i went with the boreing? also keep in mind i am a student and money is definately a huge factor.

If money is a factor, I'd keep it stock for now and focus on brakes and suspension. Once you open the motor up, no telling where it might lead... New piston and an overbore on the V series Nissan could run you some serious bucks, especially if you raceprep the rods and go through the block. Ringing it properly, going through the heads, adding cams... It could run you into some serious cash. IF money is an issue, just do the simple bolt ons. Besides, going into that motor won't get you any serious HP unless you turbo it... Then again, what do you consider serious HP? To me, and this is just my take so please don't take offense, I wouldn't open a motor up unless I could get at least 300HP and some serious torque for the money spent.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

You can do all the tricks in the book and you won't get more than 230 or so horsepower from a non turbo vg30 and keep it reasonably street drivable. 230hp in a 3k+ car is diddly squat for performance.

I'd turbo it - the engineering has already been done for you by nissan and it can make all the power 98% of people would ever want.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

RIF...Reading is fundamental...

OK, Morgan and I share a seat on the same short school bus.. Anyway, what Morgan said. You already have a turbo foundation... Build on that and get the performance you want. I'd go through the block and re-ring and bearing it, maybe Oring the heads and go from there.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

You want to turn the boost up, but before you touch that dial, do the following:

Install a boost guage - $35

Install an air/fuel meter - $30 or better yet an EGT guage with the probe - $80-100

Install an I/C with mandrel plumbing. At a minimum, get one from a Supra - $275+

Upgrade the exhaust to 3" - varies with type of pipe & muffler

Install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator - $75-125. Bigger injectors is the right way to do it but expensive

Modify the wastegate actuator rod to adjust the boost - $2.50 if you have a die

Once you have these installed, start turning up the boost in small increments while increasing the fuel pressure to increase the injector flow to match the increased fuel demand. The limitation will be the injectors, so monitor the a/f meter or EGT to make sure you do not go lean at WOT. Do not concern yourself with how much boost you can run. The stock fuel pressure is probably 36# (vacuum off) and you probably can work your way up to 43#. Let the guage tell you when you have hit your limit. Remeber, you cannot always hear detonation.

AT THIS POINT 93-OCTANE IS NOT AN OPTION

Good Luck.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

• 2 weeks later...

A further comment on boost - bigger isn't always better. It's possible for a car that's had mods to increse it's airflow (exhaust, ported intake, air filter, etc.) to run faster than a more corked up car running more boost. It's also possible to exceed a turbo's area of effeciency and simply wind up heating the air real badly which will show higher boost but lower power.

Scotties advice is sound but don't get hung up on boost numbers. It really makes me laugh to walk around a car show and hear guys bragging about boost numbers as if it made one car faster than another smile.gif