HybridZ

ls1 questions

Alright guys

this is in response to my 327 post, just something i have been thinkin about

I like simplicty, my sbc in the malibu only has a couple wires in the engine bay.

No a/c manual brakes. The only thing i have is the wires to the starter, gauges, and alt, and those are pretty tucked away.

I look at this ls1

809ls1.jpg

And theres alota stuff.

My first question is, how does all this hook up to a z? i mean aside from droppin it in, and hookin up the normal small block stuff, what else to i need to do. how would this be different than a regular sbc swap?

im guessing i couldnt run a 4speed right?

And whats with all this "tuning" i head ls1 guys talkin about?

when do you tune them, what does it entail, and would i have to tune one right outa the crate like this one from jegs?

First, search the site. As for putting it in, it's a different mounting setup (requires a different kit, headers, etc), requires EFI fuel pump & tank, many wires, computer with editing or modified to take care of 02 sensors, etc. Not the same as hooking up a fuel line, couple wires and go....not even close. If you want simple, stick with "old school" stuff. ;)

As far as tuning, it's not just playing with jets and ignition curves, it takes a $500 computer edit program and dyno time. Definitely more "hi tech" and requires more fine tuning, but will get you more power & better mileage. (most of the time) Hope that helps.

I agree. Don't take a computer controlled motor and carb it. Why spend the money for the technology and then not use it. Might as well just get a standard SBC. It looks like the photo is of the 5.3 Liter variant of the LS motors. True? Leastwise it sure looks like what is sitting in my Suburban. For starters - it has a tall intake manifold that will require that you either cut a hole in your hood or replace it with one off a LS1. Either way you'll be investing more money. It also has an iron block so it is heavier than the LS1. As long as it sits in the LS1 position that may not be a big problem as it will probably improve your front/rear weight bias. If I remember right it's rated at 285 HP & 325 ftlb's of torque?

I agree. Don't take a computer controlled motor and carb it. Why spend the money for the technology and then not use it. Might as well just get a standard SBC. It looks like the photo is of the 5.3 Liter variant of the LS motors. True? Leastwise it sure looks like what is sitting in my Suburban. For starters - it has a tall intake manifold that will require that you either cut a hole in your hood or replace it with one off a LS1. Either way you'll be investing more money. It also has an iron block so it is heavier than the LS1. As long as it sits in the LS1 position that may not be a big problem as it will probably improve your front/rear weight bias. If I remember right it's rated at 285 HP & 325 ftlb's of torque?

thats the picture they show in jegs, they call that an LS1, and its rated at 330hp, maybe they dont know. Phantom, your the man who inspried me to drop a small block into a z, a year after seeing your car at sonic, i bought one. Thanks to you man.

I think im just gonna go with a 327, its too easy, and i dont wanna have to go to some "tuner" to get it running right, im just starting to get the hang of the standerd sbc, and it would suck to have to learn a whole new motor ( i know im gonna have too sooner or later)

Thanks for yalls advice and help, but i gotta go the 327/302 route

Harrison, if you dont alter the engine with a cam and heads then the stock tune would be fine. Were it gets you is when you have to alter the computer to delete the cats, or the fuel tank stuff, AIR, EGR, and other crap that will keep the engine from operatering in closed loop if you dont remove it. You can usually get someone to do that for you for a minimum fee and call it a day. The LS1 is light, sounds awesome, pulls like a freightrain. It's worth the extra effort in the long run.