HybridZ

I/C time?

evildky

Guest bastaad525

eh I've heard of that quite a bit over on the Supra forums, there was one guy going crazy running a really high hp Supra, threw on an alky injection setup and removed his front mount I/C and was still able to run some crazy high boost and power, so no surprise there. I think there are other guys running boost above 10psi with alchy/water on this board as well.

As for the '10 psi rule', actually, as I've heard it, this isn't just a rule applying to the L28ET, or Z's in general. This seems to be a pretty standard number thrown around by MOST guys into turbos. I've read it in magazines and on various websites/forums as well. In our cases yeah the stock EFI definatley doesn't help matters. Surprised the RRFPR didn't solve that problem for you, it definately did for me... whereas before I was leaning out at 10psi and 5000rpm, with the RRFPR I was able to do 14psi and rich all the way to redline, never went leaner than mid 12:1. Well, hey either way, you're getting away with 13psi now... cool. Personally, I woulnd't do it, and honestly, I'm surprised others havent chimed in here to say 'don't do it' as well. I remember asking around, that if I installed 370's (someone was offering me a set for very cheap), back when I still had no I/C, would I be able to turn the boost up past 10psi, if it was running rich enough, and everyone pretty much said "don't do it". There were no in depth technical explanations given other than "10psi with no I/C isn't safe no matter how much fuel you have, it's just too hot". *shrug*

I envy you though... you get a junkyard motor that performs great and puts up with 13psi, no I/C, and makes better-than-average power doing it. I buy a supposedly rebuilt motor from a running donor car and the whole thing falls apart needing a full rebuild within the first 6 mos, BEFORE I even turned the boost up!!

I only HOPE if I ever blow this motor and go to find another one that I should get so lucky as so many of you seem to.

Dont know if this has any validity, but I'll throw this in here and let you guys make of it what you will. I have a 76 model 900 Kaw. bored to 1132cc 7.8 compression MTC pistons with a Blake Enterprises turbo kit (draw thru) with a Bill Hann pressure retard electronic ign. It uses a Rayjay 302b25, running a 38mm round slide mikuni with an acc.pump. This set up has run 20lbs on 93 oct. with no pinging. I dont remember the ign. settings because it has been sitting in the garage with 1989 plates on it. :)