HybridZ

Low Hood Style LT1 A/C Compressor Relocation Kit

Hi Bart,

I don't have my LT1 engine in my car but I was looking at your V8Z (nice pictures)and it sure looks like it will fit. It appears that the compressor's new location is offset the same distance as the alternator. I will write to Joe Bower and see if he can send me a measurement from the outside edge of of the alternator to the outside edge of the compressor.

Danno74Z

Hi Bart' date='

I don't have my LT1 engine in my car but I was looking at your V8Z (nice pictures)and it sure looks like it will fit. It appears that the compressor's new location is offset the same distance as the alternator. I will write to Joe Bower and see if he can send me a measurement from the outside edge of of the alternator to the outside edge of the compressor.

Danno74Z[/quote']Danno,

If you post the measurements I can check to see if it would fit on my install. It sure would be nice to have A/C, it can get pretty hot out here.:icon54:

It looks to me like it might be 1/2" or more outboard than the alternator but looking at my engine bay I think it would still fit. If you're using the JTR position the engine sits 1" offset to the right which provides more clearance on the left and the engine torque rotates the engine toward the right as well. I'm positive it will fit right to left and should easily clear the hood. The only I didn't like is the closeness of the belt to itself on each side.

Wheelman

Here is Joe's reply on the closeness of the belt to itself.

Dan,

The belt does run close to the water pump, but does not touch it and is not a problem. Some water pumps might be cast slightly different and clearance here should be verified. Excess aluminum here could be filed down. Same for the belt at the power steering pump. There is virtually no vibration and we haven't seen any problems with the belt clearance. No adjustment is necessary. Just check the marks on the tensioner to monitor the belt condition.

He said he will get me an overall dimension shortly. So far so good as this kit looks like it might work for folks who want to keep the AC.

Danno74Z

Joe emailed me this information and for now it will have to do.

Dan

I can't tell you what the outside dimension is but I can tell you that the compressor pulley and the compressor itself is inboard on the driver's side further than the alternator is on the passenger side.

I don't have one on an engine now but you could verify your clearance by comparing it to the alternator side from centerline.

The belt clearance to itself is not an issue on this installation. It may appear close, but is not too close.

Thanks for your interest!

Joe

Bought the thing, installed it... less than 1/8" clearance with my drivers side strut tower. It seems it'd be possible to just do a little grinding to increase that. I'll try to get some pics soon. Other than the extremely close tolerance, the thing looks great and installs amazingly easily, granted I haven't checked yet to see if my coil wire reaches..... Also, it was necessary to extend my intake elbow as far as possible away from the intake to clear the new coil location. Now all I have to do is figure out why my engine won't crank over anymore.

-Andrew

Bought the thing' date=' installed it... less than 1/8" clearance with my drivers side strut tower. It seems it'd be possible to just do a little grinding to increase that. I'll try to get some pics soon. Other than the extremely close tolerance, the thing looks great and installs amazingly easily, granted I haven't checked yet to see if my coil wire reaches..... Also, it was necessary to extend my intake elbow as far as possible away from the intake to clear the new coil location. Now all I have to do is figure out why my engine won't crank over anymore.

-Andrew[/quote']Would definitely like to see some pic's!

Did you use the Mass Air Flow Sensor Bracket Kit as well? I think that my intake elbow would probably need to be extended as well.

240PLAYTOY,

I was out of town for a few days and jut saw your reply. Wow, that is great you picked up the compressor relocation kit. I figured there would be more room then the 1/8" you mentioned from the driver's strut tower. Did you use the standard JTR engine mount system? Would like to see pics too of the mounted kit and your car.

Danno74Z

standard JTR mounts, nothing special that should have altered my engine location. I haven't looked to see what direction my engine torques towards, I'm really hoping it's towards the passenger side... but I'm pretty sure it'll be driver's side because that would cause me the most trouble and that's how this build has been going.

Alright, here we go. It's a little hard to see the lines, I was retarded and should have put a piece of paper behind the pieces.

fit.JPG

here's a top view. It would seem I could relocate my coil to its original location w/o causing clearance issues.

top%20down.JPG

and finally, from the side:

side.JPG

hope this helps. The back tab that's causing clearance issues can be ground. All in all, I'm still happy with the purchase. You may be able to talk to the guy and request that the back plate be ground to the connecting pipe prior to powdercoat. That'd easily double or triple the clearance.

Bartman, it looks like you might have to rotate your MAF around. The current location of the hookup might just clear the coil in its location. If you were to put the coil back in the "original" location, it'd stick about ~1.5" further out, but might keep you from having to readjust your intake. If you look at the top down picture, the lip of the intake and intake elbow are just on the other side of the hose clamps. That's about an inch further out than it was originally to allow the coil to be placed in its new location.

Here is a pic of the cut outs I made before I traced them to steel and purchased the pulleys.

Works very well, had a little trouble with the belt coming off until I found what pulley needed to be shimmed a little.

cut_outs.JPG

Here is the motor just before I installed it.

finished.JPG

Here it is in the car and runs great!.. Plenty of clearance. I have about $40 invested including the cost of the belt..

in_car.JPG

One more thing, With what I did you can push and pull the A/C so it either is very close to the valve cover or very close the strut tower. I have it about 1" from the valve cover, I love sharing my pics and work, I owe it to this site. So If can help just ask..