HybridZ

Getting an original Scarab this weekend

dsommer

Purist?

OK I’ve sold my FFR Cobra to purchase an original 1971 Scarab. The options on the Scarab are 350ci engine, louvered hood and inspection lids, Auto Meter gauges, Recaro seats, leather door panels and other things I’m not sure of. The current owner added Panasport wheels and is the second owner; he brought the car to Arkansas from California. First owner was a dentist in CA who drove the car very little. I would “guess†the conversion has less than 5K miles on it.

Now the question…

I’ve been kicking this around, I’m thinking about taking my LSD, CV axle conversion and AZ brake kit off my HybridZ and adding it to this car. In your opinion would these changes make the car less valuable from a collector stand point or more valuable?

I should probably just leave it alone and just drive it to shows and such and keep my HybridZ for driving more aggressively.

Next question the Scarab is white, nice paint too!!! Should I repaint my HybridZ to match the Scarab or go with my original idea of a dark gray? Remember I’m having twins around Christmas so this whole “twin†thing would go together nicely.

Thoughts? Or should I just sit down and shut up? haha.

d

Pictures on the way...

It would be hard to mod an original Scarab IMO. They have a lot of historical/collector value that any mods are going to reduce. I say keep it the way it came from Brian.

It's kinda like my vintage Z, I all the time think of something to do to it, but don't since I think it should stay as it was built.

A guy here in NC has a original Scarab. It's a really cool car, there are a lot of little unique things about it that are interesting. He drives it some, and even brought it to a track day, but hasn't changed anything.

John

Here's another way to look at it.

Do you want the car to just be a cruiser?

Then leave it the way it is, if the systems (brakes, diff, half shafts) are in good order.

Do you want to use the engine's performance potential?

Then do the mods that you think make sense. Probably the brakes first, then CVs and LSD.

By changing those things, you're just adding an option that was available then (LSD) and updating to stronger, safer parts. I doubt that it would change it's value much. For that matter, does it matter if you change any collector value it might have? Well, all of those mods are easily reversible anyway, so that's not really and issue anyway.

I say mod it to be safe and reliable, and drive it hard!

Just in case you're interested, there's a cool looking Scarab brochure on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Datsun-240Z-Scarab-Chevrolet-327-V8-Brochure-Lot_W0QQitemZ7181599669QQcategoryZ13561QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It even has the price list and order form. The auction is worth looking at even if you're not interested in buying the brochure.

Gosh, I'm glad they put it up there for everyone to copy :mrgreen:

I have some original Scarab literature, but it is not nearly as involved or detailed as this lot. I consider this to be a find, but it will go higher most likely and I'm not willing to put out cash for something I can copy from ebay...

Great for history! What ever happened to Brian Marrow anyway?????

Oooops! Back to David's original question: I would not modify the car in any way, but that is me. If this is a genuine Scarab, built by Scarab, the value is greater if you don't modify it. If it is merely a 'scarab' conversion then, by all means, modify the heck out of it. Even if you take it out and drive it once in a while, if you ever want to sell it again and put it up for sale at Barrett-Jackson, what do you think would command a higher price? That's the question I would ask.

Davy

Guest bastaad525

An FFR for a Scarab? Not sure who got the better end of the bargain on that one :D

Was the FFR running? How did you like it? I keep telling my wife that as soon as we get a house (and a garage in which I can work) that I'm going to buy and build one. I've always dreamed of having a Cobra.... I hear really good things about the Superformance ones but they are too pricey plus I think I'd love the pride of driving a car I built myself.

as Mr Davy Z asked,

is a store built or kit built scarab ?

is it loaded up with scarab options, have the scarabs in the quarter vents, scarab valve covers, all the goodies ?

that car, you'd want to preserve, collectors are a strange animal. even though upgrading the engine with an over bore, cam, ect, doesn't change the looks of the car, to a collector, an engine that has never been unbuttoned adds value to the car.

the less you drive it the more valuable it is.

ask yourself, do you want to own a museum piece or a driver ?

i have owned several collectable cars over the years ( tri power 4 spd 65 gto , two 57 nomads, 70 LT-1 roadster, list goes on ), if they were all as the factory built em, no one had been monkeying with stuff before me, i kept em factory.

if they had already been modified, the blush was off the rose and i did with em as i pleased. my car, screw the collectors, should have bought it before i did.

if your scarab z is a kit scarab, one built at home with pieces sold by scarab, it has little real collector value, it's more of a curiosity item.

my z, chucked the original radiator,added JTR radiator and taurus fan, friend of mine cut holes in the front fenders for trans am style scoops, shaved the door handles for remote electric door releases, removed and welded all the emblem holes shut. i changed the front brakes to toyota calipers, eventually will put discs on the rear ( kit is still in box in the garage ), looks like i am going to go coil overs, get rid of the struts. the hood was supposed to have a functional L-88 corvette hood scoop and air cleaner ( lost when body shop got sold, though my friend says he knows for sure where it is ). oh wheels and tires, currently it has 14 x7 konig rewinds on it.

once the body is straightened out ( mickey mouse stuff now ), an MSA areo II

body kit goes on it.

did i mention, my z is a 1972 scarab, was all as built when i bought it ? even had the 280z wheels and matching hub caps on it ( as suggested by scarab ).

it's a kit scarab, no big deal, other than being one of the 1st V8 z cars and having a bit of history, there are lots of kit scarabs out there. nothing special.

modifying it to fit my likings.

but, if it was a factory scarab with all the bells and whistles, now that deserves some respect, and would remain as close as i could keep it to the way it rolled out the doors of the shop in campbell.

but that's me.

your car, do what makes you happy. if you want to be the guardian of an original scarab and only take it to z functions to show it off, that's a fine thing to do.

if you want to make it yours, and drive the wheels off it, that is great as well.

most of the people who commisioned a scarab to be built or bought the kit, did it to drive the snot out of em. not to park em and let em collect dust.

with age, they have become harder to find and more of a novelty. people tend to ohhh and awe when they see one ( well people that know what a 240z is anyway ), so it does have a collector status among a small group of car buffs.

what ever you decide to do with it,

remember, if it's creating more hassles in your life than it is bringing enjoyment and if you will loose sleep over it if you modify it, you don't want it.

if a V8 z is what you want, buy one for sale here at hybrid or buy the JTR stuff and drop an LS 1 in.

the scarab was alright in its day, it went fast and almost handled and stopped.

the newly designed/engineered z swaps, with the better brakes, 5 speed trans, fuel injection, air conditioning, all that good stuff

wow, leaps and bounds a better V8 than the scarab.

the newer kits may not yet have the same soul as a scarab swap, but are much safer and better performing V8 z cars.

your decision, your money, your enjoyment.

my 82 cents worth

wayne