HybridZ

? oil in GM T-5

Guest Fast Frog

Check with a tranny shop that specializes with performance setups. When I purchased my T-5 from A-1 transmission in Denver, they instructed me to use 30 or 40 wt synthetic oil. I've used it for over 5 yrs with no problems!

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited January 19, 2001).]

Whoa! T-5s are designed for auto tranny fluid - if you put gear oil in them it will ruin them! My friend's shop has had TONS of guys bring in cars that have done this. The fluid passages are too small to allow the fluid to circulate if you go with a regular gear oil. RedLine is what I found worked best for me. YMMV...

Ditto to what BLKMGK said: The T5 needs the equivalent to Dextron III/Mercon III ATF fluid for the bearing cone sincros, etc. if memory serves me correctly.

Redline is a quality product and I have some of their gear oil for my rear differential. I will be using their oils/etc. exclusively in my Z. Good stuff IMHO. smile.gif

David

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

Whoa! T-5s are designed for auto tranny fluid - if you put gear oil in them it will ruin them! My friend's shop has had TONS of guys bring in cars that have done this. The fluid passages are too small to allow the fluid to circulate if you go with a regular gear oil. RedLine is what I found worked best for me. YMMV...

Thanks for the info guys . I hear the T-5 needs all the help it can get to live behind a 350 . Could be a good oil may make the difference..

Dennis

71 570 Z http://communities.msn.com/ZCarFamilyFun/

Guest Fast Frog

Sorry guys!!

But I had my T-5 completely refurbished. Most of the stock stuff replaced and torque rating upgraded from 300 +/- ft lbs to 330+/- ft lbs. Now, I can't tell you exactly what was done or replaced, but the instructions were explicit-use 30/40 wt synthetic motor oil!!!!!! And, after 6 yrs and 12,000 miles, no problems whatsoever!!! What can I say?? If you want names and phone number of A-1 Transmission in Denver, let me know!!

Rick

(PS, I don't think I mentioned anything about 80w 90 gear oil)

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited January 22, 2001).]

As I suspected, the tranny was modified in some way and the guys that did it took everything into account.

Fast Frog: How much did the mods cost you and what all did they do? What is the torque rating of your tranny now? Inquiring minds want to know! smile.gif

David

Ford T5s take ATF - use anything else and you'll regret it pretty quick - within a few K at the most. My friend's shop gets an almost regualr supply of these as folks screw them up - it's apparently a real bitch to clean out. I didn't know that the Datsun T5s took gear oil - weird! The later T5s apparently have carbon fiber blockers (?) and some other paperlike stuff in them, some of the passages are also too small to easily pass the oil.

As for synthetic helping things - YES! My stock T5 in the 88 Mustang lasted well over a year behind a 450hp motor with a ton of torque. It had one change of oil very shortly after I bought the car (old oil glittered with metal) but the trans lasted about 50K miles. 3rd finally blew after I beat the heck out of it one day - it blew the NEXT day granny shifting into 3rd. Go figure....

Come to think of it - I don't know what became of that trans after the Tremec swap.

Good question, Morgan. Even though the tranny is the "same T5" we have come to know and love, to the best of my knowledge the Chevrolet T5 calls for ATF, not gear oil. I'm sure that the company that modified Fast Frog's tranny had that in mind. I don't have a Chevrolet Factory Manual in front of me, but perhaps someone else can lend further insight to this.

Any Ford guys listening in know what the Ford Factory Manual says about tranny fluid?

David

Guest Fast Frog

Welllll:

I think each of us is right in our way depending whether we're talking stock or modified T-5. The JTR manual makes some mention of the "new" WC T-5 with better cones and syncos using ATF fluid. Like I said earlier, I don't remember what the A-1 guys did but I wanted some more "beefyness" to my tranny so they made several modifications that no longer required ATF or the like. 30 wt synthetic oil has a similiar viscosity and consistancy as ATF. Can't give you too much more on the subject without calling A-1 and refreshing my memory. I really don't do transmissions-except for taking them in or out!!