HybridZ

LM7 questions

im almost sure im gunna go with an lm7 rather than an ls1 becuase of the lower compression ratio and much lower cost. anyway i have a few questions that i home you can help me out with.

1. are the 4L60E's that comes on the z28 and the 5.3l, 4L60E's 4X2 trucks different? i saw a listing on ebay for a 4L60E that said it would fit any 2wd genIII v8.

2. would i t56 bolt up to a lm7. i was told it wouldnt but i have a hard time believing that as the bolt paturn looks identical. the manual flywheel from a ls1 also seems to have the same bolt paturn.

3. would an ls1 intake bolt on to an lm7 engine.

4. in what ways are the lm7 and ls1 heads diffrent.

thanks for your help!

im almost sure im gunna go with an lm7 rather than an ls1 becuase of the lower compression ratio and much lower cost. anyway i have a few questions that i home you can help me out with.

1. are the 4L60E's that comes on the z28 and the 5.3l' date=' 4L60E's 4X2 trucks different? i saw a listing on ebay for a 4L60E that said it would fit any 2wd genIII v8.

2. would i t56 bolt up to a lm7. i was told it wouldnt but i have a hard time believing that as the bolt paturn looks identical. the manual flywheel from a ls1 also seems to have the same bolt paturn.

3. would an ls1 intake bolt on to an lm7 engine.

4. in what ways are the lm7 and ls1 heads diffrent.

thanks for your help![/quote']

1. They are the same, minus a different tail housing maybe.

2. Yes, a T56 will bolt up to it, hence why they came in F-bodies.

3. Yes.

4. LM7 has a smaller cylinder shroud. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same. Some corvette guys use worked 5.3 and 6.0 heads for more compression though.

All Gen III V-8's have the same bolt patterns for tranny fitment. In fact, according to GM, the blocks are essentially the same except for the LS1/LS2/LS6 being aluminum and the truck motors being cast iron.

The issue you are going to run into though is the oil pan and intake manifold for a truck motor are very tall... I am researching putting an LR4 into a '73, and it appears in order to accomplish this I need to use the LS1 intake, oil pan, water pump, and front accessory pullies on the 4.8 truck long block I want to use.

Mike

yeah mike, i heard the same thing about the hieght of the engine. that was actually one of the questions i ment to ask. so if the intake and oil pan bolts up we should be good right? is there any modification needed to use the ls1 pan?

aslo can i use aftermarket fuel rails ment for a ls1 on this engine.

thanks guys