HybridZ

V8's and T56's to go

Guest Daddyrick

Guest Anonymous

The LS1 cost a real premium to save 100-125 lbs. It's not making significantly (if any) more HP than the iron blocks (and it has butt ugly coils hanging off the valve covers) and for the price difference one could add aluminum heads, intake, water pump, fiberglass fenders, hood, bumper and still have lots of change left over and probably end up lighter. Its just my opinion, but I really think outside of the 'Oooh, Aaah' factor it doesn't offer much bang for the buck (compared to say a stroker for thousands less). Unless I found a unheard of deal, for my dollar, I'd have to pass.

Respectfully,

Lone

Well guys, I hate to rant but feel the need.....

If I really wanted a cheap V8 upgrade I certainly wouldn't be looking at an LS1 OR an LT1...I'd grab a rat 350 out of whatever Ford/Chevy I could find in a salvage yard....but that isn't the point is it?

Sure, the LS1 has a !wow! factor -a big WOW factor - but isn't that what all of us seek in whatever modifications we choose to pursue? OK, so I have some cash to throw at a good new technology motor, so what? Do I really care that it has coil packs on the valve covers?....NO.....do I care that the all aluminum block and heads will provide weight savings...YES......Am I really all that concerned that I will undoubtedly spend $1-$2K more on this setup than on an iron sbc?...obviously not.

The point is, I want a reliable power train for a hand built Z that has gut wrenching power AND reliability. It will not be a daily driver - at most it 's a cruiser on day trips thru the midwest. And mostly, It's my car, and my money.

If I wanted a vanilla Z, I'd keep the L28 ...If I wanted a vanilla V8...well, I wouldn't do it.

Guest Anonymous

Dude, no one was attacking your choice. I think I mentioned in my post it was a personal opinion. Its your coin, do what you wish, your entitled to your opinion just as I was to mine. I'm sorry you felt that I was attacking your position. I was'nt. Trust me, if I do, you'll know it.

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited January 24, 2001).]

No offense taken, because in the end it's all about personal choice.

The challenge here, as I see it, is to do a conversion that no one seems to have done before. I'm not seeking to build a drag car, or even a weekend racer, but a very streetable/reliable/efficient machine with good handling qualities and torque, but most defineately a sleeper...

The choice of an LS1/T56 for a powertrain is based on my desire to have a unique build that serves the above named goals, and admittedly, has some curb appeal.

------------------

Aviatorx: Voicing an opinion about Z cars politely, which is what this forum is for, is different than soaking you in verbal gasoline and lighting a match. We were trying to offer ideas for cost effective alternatives--you are completely entitled to your opinion (more power to you, GO LS1!) but, my friend, so are we--especially when expressing it in a polite manner! Sorry if you thought otherwise.

Jamie T: WELCOME! Your Vortec V8 sounds totally cool in a V8 install. As you probably have read, there is plenty of info for the Chevy swap (LS1 excepted) by JTR and most of the swaps have this kind of set up. Regarding drag racing Olds: they are fast and furious--I would live to do a 455 Olds swap into a Skylark or Cutlass. It would fit the wife and kids; the Z doesn't!

David smile.gif

Guest JAMIE T

I CAN FABRICATE ANYTHING, no seriously, metal. I work for a small garden furniture company that builds all hand made aluminum furniture, I weld, bend, hammer,grind, sand, fill,inspect and powdercoat metal, mostly aluminum, but for custom orders we can do steel. I even have my own metal lathe in my basement, among many other metalworking tools. I have made many custom parts for my cars. Now I powdercoat everything I see. I'm planning on building a 250 GTO replica, as soon as I can find a suitable doner Zcar, I have a VERY nasty 302 based ford, Vortech supercharged, alum. heads, BIG hyd. roller cam. aai want to use this motor for the conversion. My Mustang conv. has run high 10s, with this motor with roadrace suspension and drag radials. Same motor in my old drag race mustang coupe went 10.20s, at 138mph, with an auto trans and slicks.

[This message has been edited by JAMIE T (edited January 24, 2001).]

Jamie, that GTO is going to ROCK with that motor. I look forward to following the buildup.

Man, I'd love to be able to go into the basement and turn something on a lathe! Maybe in retirement I'll get those toys wink.gif

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Aviatorx: As Lone said, we were only offering our opinions in a very friendly manner--I keep reading your post and ours over and over again and can't find anything flaming about them. This forum is for the expressed purpose to exchange opinions and information in a polite and friendly manner which we have done, period. Sorry if you took anything the wrong way. You surely are entitled to your own opinion (Go LS1, more power to ya!) as we are ours. Enuf said.

Jamie T: WELCOME!! You will find this a great forum and cool to exchange ideas on. Your Vortec V8 swap sounds intense. Go for it!

David

....I'm far from feeling flamed!

I do appreciate all the efforts everyone has put into their rides, and there is more wisdom in the collective intelligence here than I can claim as an individual. I'm happy to document my experience with this conversion, and I've set up a preliminary site on picturetrail.com to accomodate the photographic detail - but right now all you will see is my stripped '76 280Z in my garage!

I really don't see the LS1/T56 as a huge challenge since the sbc installation is well documented, as is the T56, and there is nothing really unique to the LS1 that should change that scenario other than wiring the computer and acessories, clutch and brake upgrades, suspension mods......OK, there is plenty of work ahead!

This isn't the bleeding edge that others here have demonstrated - just something different. To that end, if any of you find a complete LS1/T56 package,at a reasonable price, LET US KNOW!!!!!

------------------

Guest Daddyrick

I brought up the subject about the LS1 and I appreciate your comments. There are a lot of opposing views on this choice and I find that great. In regard to weight savings and dollars spent, my car has a complete rebody with an all fiberglass front. Bear in mind that I am almost 54 years old and I am not looking for radically modified engine. Those days are gone. I was one of the lucky ones who grew up on muscle cars and had an L88 427 '69 Nova. This car ran legal 10.8's and was street legal. As much fun as that car was, and I still wish I had it, I am not building my Z for that purpose. The LS1 is ugly in stock form, but open the hood of a Z06 optioned Vette and the engine screams out, LOOK AT ME. Ugly NO. My car will be unique. sure, but isn't that why we are all on this forum? That is what makes rodding so much fun. All that aside, I really need your guy's help on choosing a brake system. Seems that most upgrades depend on a magical Maxima bracket. Is that the only way to go? My car is a 78 280.

Be cool (shows my age) and thanks.