HybridZ

LS1 headers with Vette mounts

Hi guys,

What headers do you guys used? I just got the Sanderson headers from JTR and the passenger side one rubs my mount. I made a mistake for not asking before ordering the headers. The JTR header (passenger side) has the collector offset to the front a bit (relative to the center of the header). I think I need the one with the collector right on the center or offset to the back just a bit. Thanks for any info ..

V.

PS. I do not use JCI mounts. I am building my own crossmember and use the Vette mounts and biscuits.

Scottie,

How are you and the family doing? it's been a long time eh? My family and I are doing good. I am still with LMCO.

Yes It's time for me to step up to the plate and take the challenge :o). This will be my last project. Last I heard you were working on an RX7 how is that coming along? Do you still have our phone numbers? If you're happen to be in Philly or close by please contact us. Talk to you later. Take care.

Vinh

PS. I will try to find ways to install these headers because they are nice looking and light. If nothing works I will be shaving the stock Vette headers like Cyrus did and this should solve my problem. BTW I have access to a lathe so shaving the stock headers is not a problem. Thanks guys

Dale,

I have the C5 stock headers. Thanks for the offer. I just compare the stock header and the JTR and yup the stock one has the collector slightly offset to the back of the engine and the JTR is forward offset. Here are the pictures http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2079260/2

I looked at the stock headers again and I think the easier way to get these to fit is to cut the tubes before the flange and cut off a chunk at the lower part of the tube (source like a crescent moon) and then reweld it back on to the flange. This will get the header huge the block to clear the frame rails and the steering shaft.

At this point I am still trying to use the JTR headers so I will call Greg to see anything he can do for me. If not then I have to return the headers and mod the stock headers.

Edit: I just talk to Greg and it didn't sound too good. The headers will be on it way back to JTR. I will be modifying the stock headers.

Dale,

Thanks for the picture. I will modify the stock C5 header to hug the block a bit more and it should clear of everything. The good thing about these stock headers is I was able to cut the lower part of the header off and they can be turn any direction to best fit my exhaust later on. Thanks again.

Vinh

Sorry I have a 97 or 98 C5 headers.

After spending more time looking at the C5 stock headers I can modify these without a problem. These stock C5 headers are very good in design. They are stainless steel BTW and they are actually made in 2 layers. I guess 1 is for limiting the heat going into the engine bay and 2 is not to kill the stainless steel outside layer. Anyway I will post some pictures when they are done.

The RX7 is done but having a problem with the tranny/converter lockup and cannot figure it out. Without the LU, I am trapping at 5,775 RPMs and not much point turning up the boost until I fix that and I want to limit the engine at 5800 thru the traps. Encouraging though that with no lockup and only :rolleyes: 23# boost, car is running 10.70s at almost 128, considering no LU is probably costing me .2 & 3mph. Plan to run about 27# when I get the bugs out of it.

Scottie,

hehe.. I have to give you a lot of props for building faster cars hehe ... For me I am happy just to be in 11s or 12s. I just got through problems with the headers. My brother helped me with the headers and afterward we had about 16 heineys so I didn't take any pictures. I will post some pictures asap on my web page. I hope to get my cobra done in 2 years so I can see you at the zcar convention in Florida.. See you there .. in the mean time take care...

Sincerely

Vinh

• 5 months later...

VinhZXT, what was in the way of the JTR (sanderson headers) on the passenger side. Your using the same style Corvette mounts and i was considering changing mine over to the JTR style. I agree it looks as if they could tip the header to the rear it would work better. The manifolds i have heat the firewall up too hot and need a better solution.

Briguy,

Sorry I couldn't understand your question? What mount did I used when I got the JTR headers? I got the C5 mounts and biscuits. The crossmember was very easy to make and the stock C5 headers fit because they should lol. The only problem was the stock C5 headers spand out wider and hit the frame rails. So after a few hours discussing with my brother what's the best way to modify them we decided to cut the bottom of each tube right after the flange and fold the manifold toward the block. I forgot how much I have to cut and how much I have to fold them but I did a little at a time until they both clear of all the obstacles. BTW these C5 stock headers are double layers all the say down to the collector. That was for preventing too much heat dumping into the engine and melt everything around them. They are also stainless steel. I got another set in my garage for spare. If someone needs them let me know.

I've been wanting to ask you what you used on your brake booster on your car because I didn't see it in your engine compartment. Mind sharing the secret?

I have cleaned up all the pictures from my web site so I don't have the headers pictures on there. If you want to see them I can still take picture of them and send to you.

The headers that i am using now are the original camaro headers with modifications to the collector flanges. The problem i am having with this style is that the collector is too close to the firewall and radiates into the interior, that and i have to run cats. I was looking at the JTR headers and love the looks but you said they hit the C5 motor mount.(which are the ones that i am using). Is this something a little modification to the mount would heal or is it impossable to consider doing this at all. Ceramic coating would heal any access exhaust heat and plan on coating back to the y pipe. I was looking for some picture with a test fit with the JTR headers and C5 mounts passenger side.

Brake booster is there just look closer Yellow stripe (remember the little rubber disk) It had fell when it took it out the first time and almost flew through the windshield a few times.

Briguy,

I would not say you can't modify the C5 mount to fit the JTR header. If I remember correctly you will need to move the mount forward an inch to fit the JTR header on the passenger side. The driver side fits perfect so nothing to worry about that. The problem I am not sure is the header will hit the new crossmember or not. You can make another mount to replace the C5 mount and using the compressor bolt holes that will give you some room there. This should work if the header doesn't hit the new crossmember. I don't have my car here but if you need pictures of something I can take and send them to you.

On another note do you think the stock C5 header will work with your setup? As I mentioned before the stock C5 SS headers are double layer with gap between the 2 layers. That will help to reduce the escape heat. I have not fire up my car yet so I can't really tell how hot it is. Let me know if I can help you out with anything. Good luck

Vinh