HybridZ

Microtech VS Haltec

Sparky

Hey Sparky,

Long time no talk, I have been super busy, moving, and new job junk. Did you get that turbo? I left it with Mike (ON3GO) along with some money for shipping it to you, as I was making a mad dash 1 day round trip to/from Houston, last minute house junk. I also had to re-register here, as my old e-mail account went bye bye, no high speed 'net here, as I bought a place out in the country a bit.

Anyway, I have never messed with a microtech, I thinky Mikey is going through his first install right now, so he could maybe answer microtech ?'s.

I like my Haltech, and my car has been running the E6K for about the last 4 years or so, I found it to be easy to install, and I have the wiring sceme to run a S130 turbo distributor with a Z31 trigger wheel, and runs great, with the set up I run, you'll have to purchase a ignition box, I run an MSD 6A, and it works great, I ran a blaster coil for the last few years, but was getting a misfire with boost pressures over 20 psi at high RPM, a HVC 2 coil took care of that though.

The datalog feature of the Haltech is invaluable when tuning, and with a wideband O2 sensor (I have an LM-1) you can tune easily on the street, as long as you have a buddy to drive the car.

As far as support, Haltech closed their US office here a couple years ago, was in Dallas, I never had to deal with them, but have heard horror stories about them, so maybe it's just as well.

One other item, when Violacleff's car was in the shop being wired up with his Haltech, I was able to e-mail him a map which got his car running, something you wouldn't be able to do with systems that use a handheld programmer...

You might also look into Accel DFI, I have a buddy here in FTW that runs an older version on his L28ET, and his car runs great, I had nothing to do with tuning or installing it though, so I don't know much aboout it.

Chris

P.S. buy the 3 bar MAP sensor, you'll want it eventually!!!

hey Chris!

are you finally getting settled in? I totally understand about your lack of time, its all good. Mike got that turbo to me several weeks ago, I will definitely be able to use it!

thats for your input, Im looking at the E6x and in all honesty leaning in favor of that unit. if you could donate a map and wiring schematic that would be most helpful. no rush though as I wont really have time to install it until thanksgiving-ish. I found a shop in austin that sells, tunes and installs so Im becoming more confident that I will be making the right choice, although I really really like the idea of a handheld controller AND laptop control options....(I don't have a Windoze box....Gooooooooo MAC!)

good to hear from you, I'm hoping to do some driving schools at motorsports ranch this coming spring, we should keep in touch and try to make something happen!

Yeah Sparky, work has been hectic, loads more responsibility, but more money too, so it all works out. definately stay in touch for some track events, I'm down for it. as far as a laptop goes, I was able to buy a dirt cheap ancient gateway, as the E6K uses a DOS program, but the X is windows based so you'll likely need a better comp than the old junker I have, all I use it for is tuning the car. Glad to hear you got that turbo. Later, Chris

• 1 month later...

haltech.jpg

arrived a few days before thanksgiving along with my EZ wiring kit...needless to say it was a very busy weekend that went something like this:

eat turkey

nap

work on car

eat turkey

nap

work on car

eat turkey

nap....

I am very happy with my decision overall and cannot wait to really tear into this project and finish it up!