HybridZ

Powerglide on L28 turbo

thor280

Well, that answers that. Thanks. Guess I'll be looking into changing my plans as far as which tranny I really want to use. I do however, like the 700R4 because of the shaft bearing in the rear. I guess it really doesn't matter that much though. I'm sure the gearing would matter more.

Warren

I would suspect that for the street (daily driver use) the 700R4 would work well for those that have the stock compression ratio turbo engines. Let's face it - they are a bit doggy down low.

On a turbo engine, I don't see the wide gap between 1st and 2nd as an issue.

On a stroker naturally aspirated engine, I would definitely give the nod to the R200.

Warren' date=' good post.

700R4s might be cheaper but I am not sure if they are more readily available. Remember that the 700R4 has only a Chevy bolt pattern while the 200-4R has a BOP bolt pattern. I might be underestimate the number of Chevys or it just means there are more of them in the junkyard :D. One of the primary reasons for a 200-4R over a 700R4 (for a turbo car, i.e., is the gear ratio spacing. The 700R4 has a 3.06 1st gear vs a 2.74 and while that sounds like it is better for acceleration, for a turbo car it is not and that ratio also makes for a wider gap to 2nd. The 200-4R is slighter shorter and lighter but not enough to make a difference in a swap.

I am sure others will disagree.[/quote']

most 200 4r's are uinversal bolt partern buick,oldsmobile pontiac& yes Chevy

all on one transmission

I have 2 of them, they are 3 inches shorter than 700 r4's, and there are tons

of them out there!you need to put a shift kit in of some sort, they shift soft.

if you use a 700r 4 ,try to get one out of a truck they shift perfect and are more heavy duty...1988 to present date is the best.

I saw a similar improvment in performance on my ZXT that Scottie saw although I went from a 3.90 R200 to a 3.545 R200. That .355 made a pretty big difference in 1/4 mile performance and eliminated a final shift at the end of the strip. I'm considering going down to a 3.36 R200.

I still have plans to replace the gear set in my T5 which would bring my first gear down to about 3.0:1 rather than it's current 3.5:1. If/when I get this done, the 3.545 R200 will probably be optimal for my setup although I've got a 3.70 R200 I can use if I need a 'happy medium'.