HybridZ

New owner ?'s gasket

datz280

Well I just bought a 77 280z (my first). Very little rust, some on lip of rear hatch, little on R front hood body, no rust on undercarriage, floor pans, or rails. New chrome rims. Price was right and I have had an unhealthy infatuation with Datsuns for years. It now sits proudly in my driveway for all to see

The car is rough on the inside and needs seats, dash-cap, seals, and has a dull single stage paint job done years ago. Original color is yellow and re-spray was yellow. The suspension is old and probably original to the car.

My question: There is considerable oil leakage through either the head gasket or valve cover gasket. I am planning on removing the head and replacing the head, intake, exhaust, and valve cover gaskets. Searching older post shows many people do not like FelPro.

What is a decent alternative to FelPro to use as a replacement. I do not have the money for a metal gasket?

Also several post reveal that it is a good idea to replace the head studs. Is there a stud kit other than the ARP kit?

Some have suggested having the head checked for warpage? Is this necessary and what is an average cost (I don’t want to be taken if I get this done)?

What is a good manual that will have the basic procedures for maintenance outlined for me? Specifically how to perform a valve adjustment. If given the steps (and some pictures) I am confident enough to perform most maintenance and upgrades

Mike

personally i would presure wash the whole engine bay to see where the suff is leaking. could just be as simple as the valve cover gasket. If the head gasket is not blown why replace it ? if you do i never had problem with felpro, but im using a hks multi layer coper gasket. for bore size issues. might as well do thermostat flush coolent , change oil , trany fluid the whole 9 yards. The headbolts you can get from a parts store i believe, but i have never had any personal issues with headbolts being bad.. they may strech. some people go get the turbo headbolts from a zxt from the junkyards because there stronger. you can get a straight edge and put it across the clean surface of your head and use a feeler gauge to see if your head is warped. anymore then 4 thousandths and i would get it decked. people will have different opinions on this. buy a manual also i use chilton before but i tend never to look at them. the felpro intake and ex gasket have big ports so for instance i dont have to hog out teh gasket to match my head and intake wich is nice.. anyways you should get some info from me and other posts. good luck

Well I just bought a 77 280z (my first). Very little rust' date=' some on lip of rear hatch, little on R front hood body, no rust on undercarriage, floor pans, or rails. New chrome rims. Price was right and I have had an unhealthy infatuation with Datsuns for years. It now sits proudly in my driveway for all to see[/size']

The car is rough on the inside and needs seats, dash-cap, seals, and has a dull single stage paint job done years ago. Original color is yellow and re-spray was yellow. The suspension is old and probably original to the car.

My question: There is considerable oil leakage through either the head gasket or valve cover gasket. I am planning on removing the head and replacing the head, intake, exhaust, and valve cover gaskets. Searching older post shows many people do not like FelPro.

What is a decent alternative to FelPro to use as a replacement. I do not have the money for a metal gasket?

Also several post reveal that it is a good idea to replace the head studs. Is there a stud kit other than the ARP kit?

Some have suggested having the head checked for warpage? Is this necessary and what is an average cost (I don’t want to be taken if I get this done)?

What is a good manual that will have the basic procedures for maintenance outlined for me? Specifically how to perform a valve adjustment. If given the steps (and some pictures) I am confident enough to perform most maintenance and upgrades

Mike

Ive never had any trouble with FelPro personally. I use them exclusively whenever I can help it. Good fit, good quality from what I've seen.

Honestly, as stated before, I wouldnt worry too much about the head if its not leaking, and really, if your losing substantial amounts of oil through a blown head gasket you'd know. The car would barely be driveable - if it was driveable at all. I'd only have the head checked for warpage if it does turn out to be the head gasket causing that oil leak, or if you notive signs the motors been overheated badly at some point.

To answer your question though, I overheated my 240 when I first got it (yay for being the worlds dumbest 16yr old). Blew the gasket. I took the head to a local machine shop and they charged me 125$ to have the head tanked, milled (decked.. whatever its called. They made it flat.) and completely cleaned. When I got it back it looked like it was factor new. I cant speak for what shops in your area charge, but 7 years ago when I had that done, thats what it cost me.