HybridZ

MAF & ECU from Maxima instead of 300ZX?

TheNeedForZ

88-89 z31 ECUs have the 28 pin chip, 84-87 are the 26 pin.

ecu3.jpg

Oh, I don't think anyone answere where to find the ecu in the z31, it's behind a panel right in front of the passenger side door (below glovebox).

I have an 85 turbo auto ECU sitting around if you don't care about using romulator.

Hi again

I approached someone and asked about his 87 300ZXT-m/t ECU for sale, here's what he said:

"Hi , well I popped the cover off & the top board & found the Hitachi chip HD46510P . It is rectangular not square. When I talked to GrayZee & Bernard a few months ago about reprogramming this ECU , they said they could do it.

I just gave them the numbers off the top on the ECU

A18-680 M90 if that helps. They also said I could also run it the way it is stock with a turbo but it would be better to change out the chip .

I looked at the picture of which chip to look at on your Maxima MAF & the one that is circled on the picture is a 28 pin I counted 14 pins on each side but it still looks rectangular but not as long. there is a number that is written on top of the chip M256 DF M5 . Let me know what you think"

So his 87 300ZXT-m/t ECU has 28 pins but the 46510 chip is not square

According to those who know the Z31 ecu well :

"A ecu that is tuneable should have a 28 pin eprom chip on the mainboard"

"...you will find a chip with the label 46510 and it should be square. If it's rectangular then don't bother with it"

So here I have a 87 300ZXT-m/t ECU that has 28 pins(supposedly reprogrammable) but with a non-square 46510 chip(supposedly to be avoided)

What do you guys think?

Also by the picure above, the one circled is the computer chip but which one is the 46510 chip? Thanks

You can use it but it will have be tuned entirely via the fuel and timing maps. That ecu is difficult to change the maf, scale the kvalue for larger injectors and such. The way it is wired you do not have access to the addresses from 7E00-7FFF. These addresses contain the constants and scalars that make a better tune. If you're not going beyond 370cc injectors and not much bigger than stock on the turbo you'll be ok. You'll have to become intimately familiar with the nissan fuel map equation. I don't have it handy but I can post it later if you or anyone wants to see it.

Bernard