HybridZ

intercooler pipe?

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

Just currious what you guys have done for custom intercooler pipe??? As you all know im doing a SBC twin turbo setup. and I will be using a custom made intercooler and I will then need plumbing for it any idea's??? I want the lightest pipe I can without spending 1000's on carbon fiber. I was thinking about aluminum tube then getting it powdercoated. However I want to see what all options there are out there for such a thing.. A buddy of mine said to use PVC however it dont make since to me cause I doubt it hold the pressure and heat mix. but i could be wrong... please give all info you guys would know on this subject..

Also on a 355 sbc chevy do you guys think 2 t3/04E turbos with a 57 trim compressors would do well??? remember this is a twin turbo setup and my RPM range will be no more than 7000rpm. in fact im looking for around 6300-6500 rpm redline!!

Guest traub83

I just now have to find someone who will fab me up aluminum intercooler plumbing for my Z when its all sitting there begging to be cooled.... i am going with carbon fiber body parts such as spoiler and hood... and the windows Im not positive Im going to go with plexi or not cause it will be driven a lot during the nice months... I know I am going all aluminum that i can on the motor and if there is an option for it I am going lightweight on all I am buying for this car.. even the interrior...

I ripped out the stock seats and door pannels and got lightweight buckets and a shop is molding me fiberglass door pannels to save a lil weight. basically if there is anything that I can do lighter thats reasonable price I am doing it... my goal is to have my 78z under 2600 pounds with me in it when its done and with an interrior!!! Talk about a headache I have to shave almost 400 pounds off the car!!!!!

Guest 260ondubs

Those turbos should work extremely well with the size of the engine. Damn, your power figure should be huge if you can tune it well and get all the ancillaries up and going nicely.

Guest traub83

heh heh heh Well Im goin for some crazy numbers!!! for street driving im looking for around 650-700hp, and when I go to the strip up the boost to around 18psi and see if i cant squeeze out close to 1000hp and still be pretty reliable.. I just know I wont traction up well on the street with 600hp so why run 1000hp on the street and waste the gas?? :-D But Yah I pretty much know I have a monster in the works I just hope I will be able to finish it on time and that it will turn out the way I see it in my head!!!

Guest traub83
A 2,600# Z-car w/driver and 1000hp? So, you are expecting this car to run 7.90s?

Yup pretty much !!!! LoL just in street trim tho :-) My car is gonna basically be a showstopper. im going to do those YZ fender flares and get some 12" wide tires in the back, weld in a 6 point cage. And strengthen the frame... the rear I know the R200 is strong and all but I donno about holding this much power!! I think a strait axle swap may be in the cards for this car but perhaps an R230 would work out nicely.... Im going to try and lighten the car as much as possible while keeping a full interrior and all my options besides A/C... and the power I want to be able to up the boost and crank out however much power I will need. But like I said on the street I will run a low boost setting prob around 8-9psi.. Now for the strip wether I traction or not im uppin the boost mad style.. cause there isnt anythin more impressive to me that is. Then a car that can smoke them up the track and still run a sweet time :-)

A 7-sec capable Z with full interior? Hmmmm.

On the track, even if you could not get traction, when the car gets going it will probably still trap at about 165mph! Any track that lets you run with a 6-pt rollbar should be reported and shut down! My opinions aside, for your own safety, you really need to rethink the safety aspects of your project. Even in street trim power mode, the car will still require a parachute on the track.

Good luck with realizing your dream and keep us posted.

Guest traub83
A 7-sec capable Z with full interior? Hmmmm.

On the track' date=' even if you could not get traction, when the car gets going it will probably still trap at about 165mph! Any track that lets you run with a 6-pt [b']rollbar[/b] should be reported and shut down! My opinions aside, for your own safety, you really need to rethink the safety aspects of your project. Even in street trim power mode, the car will still require a parachute on the track.

Good luck with realizing your dream and keep us posted.

LoL yah I understand totally.. I really never plan to post 7 second times at all.. this car is mainly a show vehicle that I will drive on the street on nice days.. Safety aspects I do understand however I really dont want to make it hard to get in and out of for both myself and a passanger. and I do not want a shute on my car... I do think my rear end will have to go and I will have to put a strait axle in it so I will prob do wheelie bars and a full tub on it but then again Im not positive on that.. I will do everything to make my car legal at the strip to run 10.0 flat if i go faster then I will detune my car till I am running 10.1/10.0 et's But its the fact that knowing that if I wanted too I could go way faster by just upping the boost and running higher octane ya know...