HybridZ

NZR: serpentine belt help

jaime240z

OK this is not Z related but I'm hoping someone here can help me out anyways:

I have an 03 Ford Ranger (...I lknow, I know...) Recently the serp belt made a slight squeak in the mornings, probably from dew, and the noise would go away within a couple of minutes of driving. I should have just left it alone, since it seemed to go away on it's own, once the dew dried or whatever.

So I thought it might be a good idea to spray some belt dressing on the belt to stop the initial squeak in the mornings. Boy was I wrong!!! The squeak is now constant and about 100x worse than before. The bottle of belt dressing said it was good for "all types of belts" including serpentine. So I've been trying everything to try and stop this head turning squeak that I have caused. I'm close to just putting a new belt on but the old one is fine, except for the loud squeal.

I even tried putting some bar soap on the belt. This makes it nice and quiet for about 5-10 miles and then the squeal comes right back. At least this teels me it's probably not one of the pulleys. I have a new belt in hand but I'm looking for maybe an alternative. I'm also afraid that if I just change the belt, the squeal may still come back.

Any suggestions,.....?

Thanks

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

Now if I could just figure out how to get the new one on there...? I guess neither Haynes or Chilton makes a manual for this truck and I'm not going to spend a ton for a FSM. Why is this so difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check amazon, they have chilton for ford trucks.

There will be a tensioner, you'll need to remove that, then it'll spring lose and you can replace it, you'll have to pry on the tensioner to put it back on, there may be a seperate pin or bolt to hold the tensioner in place while it was removed. There should be a single bolt in the ceneter and it'll slip onto a pin or have a pin in it that fits in a hole behind it. Don't pinch your fingers.

Easy stuff.

My ford explorer has a diagram of the serpentine belt under the hood holder upper stick (ya i dont know what to call it). If you don't have that, don't fear basically draw a picture of how it looks now, then you can see things much clearer, if yours is anything like mine it will come out the bottom after you get it over the fan. To release the tensioner put a breaker bar on the auto tensioners center bolt and push it as if tightening (i believe) this shouldnt loosen the bolt but it will loosen the serpentine belt and then you can easily free it. Also my explorer made those belt start up sounds and what not, my a/c comnpressor was shot and got very hot close to seizing, eventually the noise would be on all the time. This might be the same problem you have, if it is, Im sorry you will need a new compressor (clutch atleast). Also if you want to cut off A/C simply go to the kragen and tell them it is for a non a/c they should have a belt for you. Hope that helps

Thanks for the help guys. I think I got it, and you're right it was simple once I figured it out. There is a diagram of the belt routing on my truck too, which was nice. I did goof and turned the wrong bolt on the tensioner so now I will need to fix that in the morning. Other than that it's a done deal! THANKS!