HybridZ

Can't Get MS-N-SE to Trigger

Kraker_Jax

Alright, I'm running a V3.0 board with the Extra021u3 code and the mt225b358_021u3_setup MegaTune setup. Installed the firmware with success and turned on the ecu and plugged it up. Appears fine in MT as I can see the temp sensors working and the MAP showing about the right number. Now I know I need to have the dizzy trigger MS somehow. Moby says to do this by putting the engine on TDC and then moving BTDC about 50-60 degrees. Now since I'm using an 82 Turbo Dizzy on a stock N42 engine with turbo exhaust manifold, T3 and jpipe, I had to change the oilshaft as well. Now I have it on what I believe would be the #1 setting for TDC. I got it to line up with the rotor to be right at the #1 plug on TDC. The only thing I can think of is that I have it off by one notch, either early or late. Entered all the data from Moby's sticky to try and get her running. She cranks but won't run. I know fuel is getting there as I can smell fuel from the downpipe. Only thing I can think of is that I'm not getting spark, or not getting it at the right time. I've tried the rotating of the dizzy to get the middle LED on the MS unit to come on with it powered on but it doesn't light up. Could I simply have the oilshaft off one notch and this would cause the LED to not light up? Also, how close would the trigger angle have to be in order to get the car to run? Exact? Or can it be off a few degrees? Please help, everything's wired, just waiting to get her to turn over!!!

get a starter button and check for no spark with the coil wire-its back to basics.when you get the coil to throw sparks then figure out if they are on time or not.since i fired mine with a hall effect sensor and magnets on the flywheel i skipped the chapter on 82/83 zxt dizzy.my goal on install was to avoid old nissan parts.

Kracker,

I have spent so many hours in the past going through what you are right now that I've lost count.

If it at least kicks or sputters then that is a great starting point. Leave the cap and rotor alone for now because you have to be close. It's when nothing happens that the troubleshoot gets more difficult.

Adjust the trigger angle from 0 through 120 (or whatever the max is) in increments of 20 and see if it runs any better. Next, advance all of your spark plug wires one position clockwise on the distributor cap and run through the range of trigger angles again. If that doesn't help, try moving the spark plug wires one position counter clockwise from where you started and run through the range of trigger angles again.

This will at least solve a rotor phasing issue.

I don't know about the turbo dizzy, but the NA dizzy with the variable reluctance pickup will not turn LED on in the MS board because it's a quick pulse and not a constant signal like you would get from a hall sensor.

Good luck.

sims76 - I don't even get a sputter when cranking the engine.

This is to see if anyone can tell me if I wired incorrectly, which I may well have done.

msv3.jpg

I wired the Ignition wire PIN # 24 to the dizzy White wire.

I wired the PIN #36 wire to the negative side of the coil.

Deleted the FIdle wire because I'm not usuing a FIdle solenoid. I can add back to this wire if it's needed. I simply cut it short.

Fuel Pump wire has been deleted as I'm using a toggle for the fuel pump.

I get readings from the temp sensors, so I know they're wired up correctly.

TPS is wired correctly as I get a reading from it also.

Thanks for the help guys!

sims76 - I'll try your troubleshooting method when it gets a bit cooler. It stinks living in Houston and only being able to work on the car from 5-7 in the afternoon, being it's too hot to do it at any other time.