HybridZ

timing my 240z L28ET???

Ok Im Not Sure What Cam Timing Means... As For The Efi Year Im Not Sure All I Know Everything I Have On My Car Is From A 280zx Turbo. A Friend Did This Swap For Me But I Dont Talk To Him Anymore. He Might Of Use Diferent Hardness You Know Diferent Parts Diferent Years But Everything Is From A Turbo For Sure. Is There Anyway I Can Find Out What Year Set Up I Have? As For The Time Light I Have A Timing Gun That My Friend Lend Me But Its Weird It Has A Dial On The Back That U Can Adjust And Im Not Sure How Im Suppose To Use That. Thanks For The Reply. Hope You Can Help Me Out These Are One Of The Problems I Have With My Car That Is Driving Me Crazy

You could take an autoshop class at the loacl highschool.

Get a Chilton's book for 70-XX Z, I have two, it'll go through what you need.

That's a good gun, you set the gun on what the timing should be (10 degrees BTDC would be a good place to start) and then it'll shine the light as appropriate such that you could time a car that does not have degrees written ont he timing marks. Your timing marks at a minimum show where 0 (TDC) is.

If you don't have marks, then you need to find them or paint them on the flywheel and block. you find TDC when #1 cylindar is on it's power stroke (both valves closed) and the piston is all the way at the top.

To use the light, adjust it such that the dial indicates 10BTDC or whatever degree is appropriate then disconnect vac advance (if you have it) and plug the vac, then loosen the distributor and tighten it just so you can barely turn it with your hand. then start the car and look for the mark with the light shining on where the mark should be, once you see the mark, turn the dist until they line up. If your gun does not have a dial, then you'd turn it until the line on the balancer is at the 10degree mark.

Ask more Q's if you need.