HybridZ

Removing spark plug cover, what does it do?

Guest nitr0

A few weeks ago some of the knowledgable RB modders on here were commenting on removing the plug cover or cutting the back out, I'm just curious what kinds of problems this would fix?

The wrath (my Girlfriend) has an R33 Auto :( with an RB25DET and its acting a little weird, after months of searching i still havent figured it out, i posted here (and other places) a few months ago with the mystery "car not starting" thread and thought this *might* have something to do with it, since nothing else seemed to work. The problem got fixed after 4 hours plugging and unplugging electrical stuff, the car just kept getting flooded.

Also the cars idle is very up and down, smooth, but goes from 500-1000RPM all the time, After Nissan (City Nissan, Elizabeth St Melbourne) charging over $300 for a service and not filling radiator water or brake fluid, then trying to charge me another $300 to change spark plugs (i didnt pay that), I'm at a loss. I picked up 6 Iridium plugs for $100 and will change them myself.

I guess the real question is, what kind of things would happen to the motor if excess heat were to build up under the spark plug cover and around the ingition module? Apart from obvious damage to rubber / plastic components, would it change the way electrics react? doing weird stuff?

If it was my car I'de just try it, but its my GF's so I better be safe

I'm not sure about the RB25 motor, but on the RB26, the center cover can be removed (if you detach the ignitor).

If the RB25 is the same, I say just remove it for a day and see if the less heat result will solve the issues...

If the problem is indeed in that area, I think it would be the coil/coils gone bad just like they can on any other car after age and to many heat cycles.

My guess to your symtoms are that you have some corroded (that green powder kind) built up on some vital connectors (TPS etc.)

Anyway, not much help I know but hope you solve it soon...

j.

Removing the cover helps keep the temps down around the coil packs. Alot of them are getting old and the factory ones are only designed to last around 120,000k. Then the heat and age gets to them. All that causes missing under load.

If you having problems with weird running ect. Check your crank angle sensor, and your idle controll unit. Sits are the back of the intake manifold.