HybridZ

Supras Invade Las Vegas 2005

Zhadman

Well... a good friend of mine (who happens to own a MkIII Supra) came down to SoCal and dragged me out to the 2005 SILV. We didn't go for the car show... we only wanted to attend the Dyno Day and the Drag Races.

Quite a few of the MkII and III guys had thier cars dyno'd. Several of them (7M powered) spun the rollers to over 400hp. One 7M powered street/drag car pulled 822hp on juice.

We were really excited about the invitationals... but they ended up being a SLIGHT disappointment. The two WOTM (Wide Open Throttle Motorsports) cars dyno'd. The first pulled 1081hp before it grenaded a tire and nearly took out the 20 or so people standing BEHIND the car (er... that isn't very smart). The 2nd car pegged the dyno at 1200hp. They are estimating that both cars are in the 1400rwhp range when fully tuned.

The Boost Logic car didnt dyno (also ~1400rwhp) and neither did the Virtual Works Racing car. The Horsepower Freaks car was also missing. Most of the MkIV guys didn't dyno... don't know why.

The drag event seemed a bit FUBAR. The Supras were supposed to hit the track at 6pm, but didn't start running till 7 or so. They were running between the Pro Comps and Grand Nationals. The WOTM cars didn't run (while I was there) and the only drag cars that ran were the Boost Logic car and the Orange 822hp MkIII. The BL ran an 8.52 (which FINALLY shut up some of the ignorant dumb @$$es sitting behind us in the stands), and the MkIII was having technical issues and couldn't put in a full run.

I REALLY enjoyed watching the GN's run... man can they fly! And their turbo's... whew... damn sexy sounding. The HIGHLIGHT of the night (for me) was watching an S30 run with the GN's. It was a clean yellow car that was running consistent high 12's.

All done and said it was a good day. I'll try and post some of my friends pics when I get a chance.

Guest Battle Pope

Sounds like a pretty cool event, if it had went down smoothly.

Torquefreaks' (HPFreaks' mechanical/tuning side) shop in Portland is freaking AMAZING.