HybridZ

I must be a mustang magnet

Dragonfly

I have only had two races in my car and both of them were mustangs, the first one which I posted on here not to long ago was an easy kill, this one is a different story.

I was in Palm Springs for a run with a few different z clubs and after everyone parted ways the wife wanted to do some shopping... well after shopping we were ready to hit the road when this very nice looking brand new (still had dealer tags) mustang pulls up beside me, he was not revving his engine but he was looking at my car and smiling and letting me know he wanted to race. We had an easy half mile or more of clear road so I told my wife to hang on, the light turned green and we both rolled out then hammered it without any tire spinning, in 1st we were even, in 2nd I pulled about 1/2 car ahead, in 3rd I was about 3/4 car ahead, I hit 4th gear at 100 mph and by the time I was rolling past 110 mph he was 1/2 car ahead of me, at that point we had to brake because we had traffic ahead of us.

The guy in the mustang gave me a thumbs up and complimented my car which made me feel pretty good, but what made me feel even better is how much I suprised him and the fact that I found out later that was a supercharged mustang.

I do realize that had this kid known how to shift better he would have taken me from the begining, but I know he will be a lot more cautious with Z's in the future.

Dragonfly

Guest Anonymous

Alright, you guys hear that? Contract out on a supercharged mustang in San Diego, we'll dispatch someone from the HybridZ Race Team out there to dispatch with this equestrian vermin forthwidth.. :D

Let him wake with a mustang head in his bed,

Lone

Ps: whoever makes this hit, make it quick and quiet. Now have some proscuito, its a really very good.

When the hit man is here let me know I want to watch.

I keep waiting for those darn ricers to chalenge me so I don't have to work so hard but I keep getting mustangs. I told my wife that if I see a Saleen pull up I'm just going to say thank you but no, on the other hand any n/a mustang is fair game.

Dragonfly

Guest Big Phil

Hey Dragonfly,

That Mustang you raced was probably a new 2002 Cobra. They come from the factory with a 380 hp supercharged V8 in them. So your ride must be pretty quick.

Phil

I do not have any real numbers on my car yet as I have had so many other things going on since I got the car running but I will be doing some 1/8 mile runs in May to get an idea of what my times are. I do know that at this time I am replacing my transmission because on the drive home after the race with the mustang my tranny kicked the bucket. I swapped out my R180 rear diff for an R200 two weeks ago because I killed the R180.

As soon as I get some real numbers on the car I will be posting them. I do have one real number though, I stopped at a weigh station just before the tranny gave out and with me the wife and the back of the car loaded with stuff (shopping in P.S.) the car tipped the scale at 2720lbs, if you knock off the wheight of the driver and passenger that goes down to 2450lbs, so I am going to round it out to 2400lbs with a full tank of gas and no occupants or bags of stuff.

Dragonfly

SCCA I would have to say it would be in my best interest if you race the mustang in your zstang then if you win I will be vendicated and if he beats you by more than he beat me I will race you stangz smile.gif . I am not much for going against someone who will win unless something breaks, but if I am going against someone who has the advantage but I have a reasonable chance at winning then I go for it.

BTW from looking at your pictures and your handle I suspect you know how to put the power down and shift gears which means I do not have the same advantage over you that I have over some of these kids.

Dragonfly

what makes you think i can shift cause i drive a road race car? :D

i was just bugging you looking for a excuse to race.. havent been on track yet this year!

i raced a friend with a car similar to yours- but 2800 not 3.1 triples , 3.90's and the whole package, runs very well and quick but one day we went head to head and i pulled a looong way ahead by 4th gear. at least 5 car lengths. thats when we both realized how fast my car was then..

i feel sorry for the first mustang that tries..(hopefully not a supercharged one! ;) but maybe they wont feel so bad when they find out its really a ford that beat them....

Just call it a hunch but I got the impression you've been in more than one race ;) . I do know the limitations of my car that is why I have commented in the past that I have to beat the driver and not the car :D . Any way I figured you were just having fun with me.

I used to have (many years ago) a 68' mustang that pulled very consistant mid 10's in the quarter and every time I start to feel like my Z is the fastest thing on the road I think back to how fast that car was and I drove it on the street all the time.

Dragonfly