HybridZ

help me! need feedback please

CantZme

well guys i think i'm about to purchase a 74 260z for $2000. the car has a transplanted l28et(compression on all the cylinders is great) with an upgraded t3/t4 turbo(internal wg set at 6.6psi) and a small fmic, the car also has a turbo xs bov, fpr, centerforce dual fricton clutch, and no exhaust as of now(just a homemade race downpipe). Right now the car is running really badly, shaking and stalling after shifting gears, but the owner told me that it was due to the maf not being tuned correctly and the bov releasing unmetered air since it still has a MAF. for $500 the owner told me he would purchase a mega squirt unit and upgrade the injectors. i was thinkin if i upgraded the injectors and bought a mega squirt it would be a pretty fast and economical car, but i dont know much about what injectors i should upgrade to and which mega squirt unit is best for me. i would like to upgrade to injectors that will fit right in with minimal modification and want probably about 300whp...would this require anything else such as fuel lines,etc... please give me as much info as possible including prices and where i can get these things from. I heard the 80-84 5.0 cfi injectors work well and flow well enough for this application at 437cc/min and are low impedence. please help me make an informed decision whether i should buy this z or not, so i can really join the hybrid z family=)

btw...the car needs some paint, tires and interior work...is 2,500 with the efi and injectors still a good price?

soulds like I decent deal, but if you want megasquirt I suggest you handle that yourself! megasquirt could be a curse for you trying to pick up where someone else left off! if you build it install it and learn it it coud be the best thing ever! aside from that bit of opinion everyting you want to know is here, just look to the top of your screen and select "search"

Guest bastaad525

*choking on his wheaties*

It's a good price but be forewarned that it could be a much larger problem than just a 'badly tuned MAF'.

that price is a real steal though, that alone would make me wonder... I mean hell, when my turbo swapped 240z had a blown head gasket... I wasn't even sure that's what it was, all I knew was it had coolant in the oil and was smoking like crazy and running like crap... I posted it for $3500 and got a LOT of responses... decided not to sell in the end...

Just be careful... good compression doesn't always mean nothings wrong.

Anyways, not to change the subject, but my turbo '72 is still for sale, but for quite a bit more than $2500... double to be exact :D

BUT, mine is running fine, has the bugs ironed out and can be driven home right now ;) It's in pretty good shape as well... check my sig and follow the link to see pics and detailed info on what all I've done to it.

but I will say, IF that 260z just needs some simple little thing fixed/adjusted to run right, it's a hell of a deal considering what all it has in it already.

I think it sounds like a great deal!! :-)

I would go for it! (If everything else seems to be ok)

I do however agree that it would be best if you did the megasquirt install yourself. That way you know the procedure and know what to do if you want to change stuff etc.

Me myself, I was dumb enough to buy a 1970 240Z with a stock L24 engine for 3200$. Thought it was in good shape, but it turned out it had quite a bit of rust once I examined it closely and started tearing it apart.(Bought if from USA, and I myself live in Norway. Had only seen pictures, and the owner claimed there wasn't any rust.... Yeah right)

Turns out the front crossmember was bent, so I had to swap both that and the steering rack....